SMART Spartans: Why You Should Be Monitoring Your Social Media Pages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Everyone is familiar with the phrase, “pics or it never happened.” As this phrase has become very popular, so has posting inappropriate pictures of underage drinking and drug use on social media. You may think that only your new college friends and former high school classmates can view these pictures, but so can thousands of other users on the Internet. No matter how private your Facebook page may be, everything that you post online is public information.

One thing you may not realize is that these strangers viewing your social media pages could be a future employer. Whether it is for a summer internship or full-time job, employers are constantly looking at your social media pages as a part of their recruitment process. According to Time Money, 93% of hiring managers will review a candidate’s social profile before making a hiring decision, and 55% have reconsidered a candidate based on what they find.

How can you determine what employers will find unappealing and potentially cause you to not get the job? This is where SMART Spartans comes in handy!

What exactly does SMART Spartans stand for?

• Social media responsibility
  • Making good decisions
  • Alcohol moderation & drug prevention
  • Respect for your community
  • Trust in yourself

SMART Spartans is a campaign created by senior Advertising majors at The University of Tampa who are trying to help YOU! This campaign is an attempt to educate undergraduate students at an early stage of their college career. It will help college students make more responsible choices regarding what they are posting online, especially if it is involving underage drinking or illegal activities.

To stay up to date on social media responsibility and find out more about what employers are seeking in candidates’ social media pages, follow SMART Spartans on Facebook and Twitter.

https://www.facebook.com/UTSmartSpartans

https://twitter.com/UTSmartSpartans

You pay over $36,000 per year on college, so don’t let one bad social media post ruin your chances of landing your dream job!