PROS AND CONS OF RAISING A PET IN COLLEGE ALONE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Pets make great companions in life. Scientifically, there are many mental health benefits to owning a pet, but caring for them is not always as simple as it seems. However, I believe that the benefits outweigh the few negatives. I’ve grown up having a family dog at home all of my life, so to me, life without a pet just feels so different. Going to college over 900 miles away from home and leaving my dog for the first time made me realize how much a pet added value to my life. Facetime calls helped for the time being, but dog deprivation was real. The idea of getting my own dog has been a thought for some time, but I lived on campus my first two years, which limited my ability to get one then. This semester is my first time living off-campus alone, and I decided it was the perfect opportunity to finally get my own dog. I already had a busy and slightly stressful start to the semester with school and work; I was also aware that getting a dog comes with expenses and time, but I was willing to sacrifice those things, knowing I’d be happy in the end. So, a few weeks ago, I purchased my first dog. Here are some pros and cons of raising a pet in college alone based on my own experience so far:

Con: Time-Consuming 

College is a stressful time as it is– adding another life to take care of aside from your own can make it harder to manage your time because you are not the only priority. You will need to create a new routine that works for both you and your pet and put in the time to play and train it properly. This may take time away from your school work, sleep, plans, or other daily activities.

Pro: Mental Health

Over 60% of college students experience mental health issues, according to a 2022 study that surveyed over 350,000 students– more than half of this number of college students admit to dealing with mental health issues, which is alarming. A number of factors can play into this statistic– social pressure, academic pressure, homesickness, lack of physical care, time management, and more. Pets can help to relieve these struggles. According to New in Health, human interaction with animals has been shown to reduce levels of cortisol, a stress-related hormone, and loneliness while increasing feelings of social support and boosting your mood. 

Con: Expenses 

Depending on where you purchase your dog, prices can vary. I purchased my dog at a pet store, so she was more expensive than if I had purchased her through a breeder or an animal shelter. It also depends on the breed you choose to get– but there are different purchasing options depending on your budget. Then there is the expense of supplies, food, treats, toys, accessories, vet care, travel, and if you live in an apartment complex, you might have to pay a monthly fee for housing a pet. All these expenses add up and can be costly, especially if you are a college student paying for it all on your own. It’s important to make sure that you can finance your pet while still having enough money set aside for yourself and your needs. 

Pro: Productivity 

Having a pet forces you to get up and start your day earlier in the morning. I was not an early morning person prior to having my pet, but I naturally wake up every day around the same time now to feed and walk my dog. I look forward to my morning coffee and breakfast before our walks. Although creating a routine for your pet can add time to your schedule, you are more likely to get things done around the house and worry less, knowing your pet is by your side. 

Con: Training Process

Training a new puppy takes time, awareness, and patience– if you are thinking about getting a dog. It is essential to start training your puppy sooner than later– potty training, leash training, commands, behavior, socializing, etc. The puppy stage is when your dog is starting to learn new things, get into habits, and test boundaries. Some dogs are naturally quick learners, but overall, it can be difficult to train your puppy alone, which is why you will have to dedicate time to doing your research. Be aware that when your puppy is teething, he or she will try to bite EVERYTHING. I learned this the hard way. Ironically, as I was writing this article, my dog was lying next to me, playing with her chew toy, until she jumped onto my lap and suddenly bit and broke the screen of my computer. I was super upset about this, and as much as I wanted to put all the blame on my dog, I could have prevented it by making sure my computer wasn’t within reach. You can avoid this incident by puppy-proofing your home, crate-training, and using simple commands along with leash training– slowly, your puppy will learn not to bite everything they see. It can also be super hard to punish your puppy when they do something bad because they are so adorable, but the best thing you can do is be consistent and stern when they act up. But with time, the process will get easier. 

Pro: Learning experience and Responsibility 

Owning a pet is a responsibility within itself, but it is also a learning experience, and you become even more responsible over time. Your pet is completely dependent on you as the owner to provide it with its basic needs; in turn, they give you satisfaction and affection– this builds a mutual and committed relationship. You set the routine, you are the one who feeds them, walks them, cleans up after them, takes them to the vet, etc.– just as you would for a human child. Through all these little things, you gain independence and motherhood skills. 

Con: Limitations

If you are raising a puppy like me, it can be slightly stressful finding a sitter while you are gone for long hours. And if you do not have a sitter, you can’t help but worry and feel bad for your pup being home alone. Personally, I had to cut back on my work hours because finding a sitter 3-4 times a week is tricky, and having classes on top of work made it impossible to leave my puppy alone. This may make you feel stuck at home or feel rushed while you are out. 

Pro: Memories and emotional support 

On the bright side, coming home to your cute little puppy is one of the best feelings. If you have a bad day, your puppy will be there to cheer you up. Sometimes, our social battery runs out, but we don’t want to be alone, which is where your pet will bring you company and comfort. Your pet also makes a great adventure buddy– taking your puppy with you is the perfect bonding experience and an opportunity to try new things and create memories. Exposing your pet to different environments also at a young age is healthy for their development. 

Pro: Companionship and love

The unconditional love from a pet is a feeling like no other. No matter what is going on in your life, the love you receive from your pet instantly takes away the pain. Sometimes, all we need is a few snuggles and kisses to feel better. Love and companionship equals happiness, and happiness equals a healthy mind. 

Con: Attachment and loss

Your pet can get super attached to you, but you can also find yourself getting super attached to the pet. Of course, this is natural, but it can affect your functionality and mental health if the attachment issue is extreme. Too much of anything in life can be unhealthy. Missing your pet and your pet missing you is normal, but it is important that we teach ourselves and our pets how to be alone and comfortable with others, too. The last and biggest con of owning a pet is the experience of loss. We all know that one day this time will come, but when it comes, it’s a heartbreak. I experienced the loss of my first pet last year, and it was truly the hardest experience of my life. But the wonderful memories that you share with your puppy are something that will last forever.

Pro: Reward

Raising a pet is a rewarding process– I know that even though I face challenges raising my puppy from time to time, seeing my puppy healthy and happy makes every challenge worth it. This feeling is unexplainable but truly special. From your dog’s first potty success to its new tricks– watching your pet grow up is full of many milestones and proud moments. 

So, If you are thinking about getting a pet after reading this article, the key takeaway is to be aware and ready for the time, money, and changes that will be needed to raise it. And know that the struggles are temporary, but the benefits and love between you and your pet last forever. 

Zoie Aguiar is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Tampa. Her articles cover a variety of topics including wellness, lifestyle, work, academics, travel, fashion, gen-z culture and aesthetics. In addition to sharing relatable and credible content on these topics, Zoie aims to connect with others by spreading positivity. Her core values are: well-being, passion, integrity, peace and individuality. Zoie is a Junior studying Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. In her free time, she loves to cozy up in her bed and watch reality tv, take pictures, DIY, design, decorate, play volleyball and shop. Zoie loves to travel and explore new things. Her favorite places to be are the city, beach, and mall. She loves to express her personality and style through writing, art and fashion. Ultimately, Zoie loves to be creative and have fun!