Life > Experiences

Navigating Boundaries: My Journey as a Black Woman in Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As I reflect on Black History Month, I find myself looking back on the journey that has led me to where I am today – a Black woman born with brachial plexus, navigating through life’s challenges with determination and resilience. From the beautiful shores of the Jersey Shore to the bustling city of Tampa, Florida, my journey has been marked by triumphs, struggles, and a relentless pursuit of my dreams.

Growing up with a brachial plexus, an injury that limited my ability to use my arm, wasn’t easy. There were moments when I felt different, isolated, and unsure of my place in the world. But instead of letting my disability define me, I chose to let it strengthen me. It taught me resilience, perseverance, and the power of embracing my uniqueness. Today, I stand tall, grateful for the lessons learned and alive with the possibilities that lie ahead.

One of the significant milestones in my journey was my decision to pursue higher education. Leaving behind the familiar shores of the Jersey Shore, I embarked on a new chapter of my life at a private university in Tampa, Florida. Here, I am pursuing a degree in journalism with a minor in public relations. This academic pursuit is not just about gaining knowledge but also about using my voice to advocate for change and amplify diverse perspectives.

My chosen path in journalism and public relations is more than just a career choice; it’s a calling. I see it as a platform to uplift marginalized voices, challenge societal norms, and pave the way for a more inclusive future. My dream is to use my degree to be successful in managing artists and brands, breaking barriers in the entertainment industry, and reshaping the narrative of who belongs in the spotlight.

Beyond the confines of academia, I am also passionate about travel writing and conducting insightful interviews. These pursuits allow me to connect with people from diverse backgrounds, explore different cultures, and share stories that inspire and empower others. In addition, my journey into entertainment journalism has given me the opportunity to delve into the world of creativity, artistry, and expression – a world where I feel most at home.

One of the most fulfilling moments in my journey was the release of my first self-published poetry book, “Shy But Not So Shy.” This collection of poems is a reflection of my innermost thoughts, feelings, and experiences. It’s a testament to the depth of my emotions and the power of my voice. Releasing this book made me realize how gifted I am and reaffirmed my belief in the transformative power of words.

As I look towards the future, I am filled with hope and excitement for what lies ahead. My journey as a Black woman is far from over, and I am committed to continuing to break boundaries, challenge stereotypes, and create opportunities for myself and others like me. Whether it’s through my work in journalism, my passion for travel writing, or my endeavors in the entertainment industry, I am determined to make a lasting impact and leave a legacy that inspires generations to come.

As we celebrate Black History Month, let us not only honor those who made a difference who have come before us but also recognize the everyday heroes who are shaping history in their own right. My journey as a Black woman is a testament to the resilience, strength, and boundless potential that resides within each of us. Together, let us continue to write our own stories and redefine what it means to be Black in America.

Jaide Edwards is a writer at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes about her experiences, women empowerment, entertainment, and encouraging others. Beyond Her Campus, Jaide is a undergraduate student at The University of Tampa, aiming to get her B.A degree in journalism. Making her way to her path she works very hard with her writing assignments, her poetry book, businesses and continues to build her portfolio for her dream career. In her free time, Jaide enjoys writing poems, digital graphic design, going out, and networking. She recently started her own business being a social media manager while doing digital graphic design services for others. She also wrote her own E-Book that'll be published soon. So, Jaide is a perfect example of beauty and brains.