This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

There seems to be a social platform for everything now. From dating to sharing your music taste, there is a place for everyone. As a film lover, the app I find myself checking consistently is Letterboxd. Letterboxd is the ultimate platform for everyone who loves movies, whether they enjoy the classic Hitchcock or the modern Wes Anderson. If you’re not familiar with the app, let me introduce you to the newest way for cinephiles to connect.

Letterboxd essentially is a platform to share and catalog the films you’ve watched. Founded in 2011, it was launched as a way to share your opinions on your favorite movies that you watched at home or in the theater. At first, it may seem that the app is only meant for serious movie reviewers, but it’s truly meant to be a platform to just share your thoughts on a movie. If you only love rom-coms or you only love horror, you can write your reviews and log everything you’ve watched. Reviews don’t ever have to be paragraphs long or contain thoughtful prose, and it can just be a silly thought in the moment. Personally, I have a review that just says, “suing Greta Gerwig for emotional damage”. Your profile is entirely customizable– your profile picture, your bio, and your top four are all up to you. Besides being personal to you, the other users on the app not only have great taste but also great reviews. Reviews from other users are essentially like Yelp but for movies. For the movie connoisseur or the person who just scrolls on Netflix looking for something to watch, this app is something new. An app that gives you a new way to find movies and see if they’re something to sit down and be engrossed in.

Letterboxd is an underrated app I would recommend to anyone. Even if you’re not a self-proclaimed cinephile, it’s a fun way to interact with people and get some insight into the latest or the oldest films. If you want to be an internet film reviewer or you just want to make a funny comment, download Letterboxd and see how it combines one of the oldest and newest forms of entertainment.

Kaila DeJesus is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Tampa Chapter. Covering mainly entertainment in her articles, Kaila writes on an array of topics from film and television recommendations to internet culture. Her writing centers around multiple forms of media, the modern lives of college students, and pop culture. Beyond being a writer for Her Campus, Kaila is also a sophomore at the University of Tampa. Currently majoring in Film and Media Arts, she hopes to pursue a career in film journalism. She hopes to become a journalistic film critic post-graduation. While enrolled full-time at the university, Kaila is also a part-time sales associate for Vans under the parent VF Corporation. In her free time, Kaila enjoys watching movies, keeping up with pop culture, and vinyl record shopping. Enjoying the "older" hobbies such as record collecting, Kaila loves going to her local movie theater to watch a movie over streaming. She spends most of her free time hanging out with her friends, writing reviews for films on Letterboxd, and rewatching her favorite sitcoms multiple times. Kaila also enjoys attending the concerts of some of her favorite artists such as Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, and SZA.