Job Searching Tips for Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

The job search is always daunting, so many companies and so many things to think about. Here are a few tips to help you stay calm! 

1. Keep Organized

Staying organized is very crucial when it comes to the job search. When you apply to a job, write it down, type it somewhere, and have a list. When you hear back from that job, write it down and so forth. I personally have an Excel spreadsheet of what company I applied to, what position it’s for, and if I heard back from them. You will begin to hear back from multiple companies and you will start to forget when and what the positions are for. 

2. Subscribe to every single job site 

Yes, I know getting 10 emails every day from the same job website is very annoying, but trust me, it will help.  One day you might be scrolling through and see a job that really interests you, and months down the road you might be working there! Consider subscribing to monster.com, indeed.com and Glassdoor.com. Do not limit yourself to anything and make sure you have all the resources you need! 

3. Make a great first impression: resumes and cover letters 

Make sure you bring all the documents needed to an interview. Bring your resume, a cover letter and of course, business cards. You never know when a CEO will come at you and ask for your card. If you do not feel your resume is top notch, have someone look at it and give you feedback. The worst thing is going into an interview with a resume or cover letter that is not up to par.   

4. Professionalism

When you are sending an email, use the correct grammar, use the right spelling, and do not write as if you are writing to your friends. CEO’s take emails very seriously and they are not going to read something that starts with “Yo”. When it comes to interviews, dress appropriately. Professionalism goes a long way, make sure you impress them in every single way! 

5. Keep your options open

Don’t only apply to jobs that are in your field. I understand that you majored in that field for four years, but you need to keep your options open.  Many executives these days “hire character and train skill.” They just want to see that you can conduct yourself in a professional manner, can communicate and write clearly and have some sort of education. Human Resources will train you for the job and its duties.  

6. Follow up

If you have any type of interview with a company (phone, skype, in-person) FOLLOW-UP with them 24-48 hours after the interview to thank them for taking the time out of their busy day to interview you and to let them know how interested you are about the position.  An email would be nice, but a hand written letter would be even better. It shows that you took the time and effort to thank them. 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3