It’s Greta Gerwig’s World, and We’re just Living in it…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Greta Gerwig is one of my favorite directors in the industry right now. The way that she manages to make films feel so personal and visually stunning is astonishing. No matter if she is in front or behind the camera, her influence and impact can be felt on whatever project she is part of. 

Her film Lady Bird (2017) changed lives (including mine). She took experiences that so many of us have lived through, such as conflict with your mother or the stress of not knowing what to do about college, and made it feel so incredibly real and personal. Her film brings back the nostalgia of a version of my life that I never lived. Little Women (2019) is another film that she directed that I come back to constantly because of the way that it makes me feel. She modernized and retold such a classic story in such a beautiful and real way that it felt as if it was a whole new narrative. I’ve lost count of how many behind-the-scenes, scene analysis, and breakdown videos I’ve watched because of how well done each moment of the film is and how natural it feels. She nails the feeling of familial chaos and love, and every moment of the film is intricate in its own little way, which makes it so much fun to watch. Her adaptation of Little Women (2019) sits comfortably high on my all-time favorites.

The next film that she has coming out is the Barbie (2023) movie which has been in the works for a number of years, and let me tell you… I will be SAT in that movie theatre opening night. The trailer is full of so many fun moments, and I just know that it’s going to be a fantastic watch. Greta Gerwig just gets it, and I can’t wait to see her continue to make strides in Hollywood, and I’m manifesting that one day I get to work with her. 

Daniela Osorio is a third year Musical Theatre and Communications double major at the University of Tampa. She is passionate about the arts and loves music. She hopes to pursue a career in the arts after she graduates. She is an aquarius so she loves to be creative and free-spirited. :)