The Importance of Making a Daily To-Do List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I often credit my daily ritual of making a list as one of my keys to success. Grocery lists, things to do lists, beauty routine lists, you name it, I probably have it. I am aware that creating a daily agenda of tasks is not for everyone; however, I love formulating lists because they give me a viable framework for my goals and set me on track for a meaningful day, every day. Time management is an applicable and transferable skill that I believe every young woman should strive to improve upon. Having 24 hours a day happens to be one of the few resources that every single human has in common, so why not maximize that precious resource? It only takes a few minutes at the start of your day to formulate a to-do list. Equally important is taking the time to reflect and review on that same list at the end of the day. By doing so, you are indirectly expressing gratitude towards yourself and others who support you, because you can see all of the amazing things you were able to accomplish that day (whether it was two tasks of two hundred tasks).

While I do have my lists color coded, time-sensitive, and alphabetically ordered (when possible), you do not need to do the same. Small, workable steps are all you need to reap the benefits of list making. Here are five easy ways to make a list and stick by it.

1. Use a platform that you can readily access. For some, this may be in the form of a smartphone app, such as Trello or Evernote. For others, this may be on personalized stationery, a whiteboard, or sticky notes. Remember, you will be referring to your list throughout the day, crossing off tasks you complete, so make sure it is a medium you are comfortable with.

2. Be realistic! Do not go overboard and stack on hundreds of tasks for one day. Learn to distribute your workload and prioritize what matters to you. Cut out the fluff and seriously evaluate if certain activities are worth your while. Your time at university is a marathon, not a sprint.

3. A little specificity never hurts. Names, times, dates, places and simple objectives are all things that can be included when you list out your task. For example, rather than simply writing “meeting” on your to-do list, write who the meeting is with, when it will be, and where it will take place. It is always a good idea to write a quick intention statement for your most important tasks as well, so you can feel confident that you will nail down exactly what you want.

4. Include everything, big or small. Always schedule in breaks, meals, gym time, work/internship times, office hours, commuting (if applicable), and most importantly, socializing. Each of these “simple” daily tasks adds up, and list making can help you facilitate a healthy work-life integration.

5. Share your overarching goal and main tasks for the day with someone. Don’t be afraid to share your plans for the day with your BFF, S.O, roommate, or a family member. Studies show that when you share your goals with someone else, you are much more likely to stick with it and follow through.

Using a list to achieve your daily goals is a great habit and a solid way to pave your path to success. Carpe diem!

Maya Patel is a pre-dental student at the University of Tampa. She loves to travel and open her eyes to the world around her, whether it is through reading, meeting new people, or learning about new cultures.