Life > Academics

How to Stay on Top of Your Work This School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As the new school year begins and you’re adjusting to a new routine and new classes, it’s easy for the workload to creep up on you. You have it pretty easy during syllabus week, but then classes tend to hit the ground running right after. Although it can be overwhelming at first, the best way to tackle schoolwork is to stay organized! It sounds cliché, but collecting your thoughts and planning work in advance will help you have a successful semester.

3 Tips to Stay on Top of Your Work:

1. Planning Ahead with a Weekly Planner

A weekly planner and a daily planner are two tools I highly recommend that both serve different purposes. There are so many cute planner templates online, but I prefer and recommend paper ones. With a physical planner, I’m more likely to remember, and writing my thoughts down makes me less overwhelmed. You can also find really cute planners for a good price at Marshall’s, Home Goods, or TJ Maxx.

In my weekly planner, I write out a “Due” and “Do” list on each day at the start of each week. I first write out the upcoming due dates for the week on the “Due” side. Once I can see what’s due throughout the week, I fill out when it is the best time to complete the assignments on the “Do” side. Using a different colored pen or highlighter for each class helps as well! 

1. Scheduling Your Time with a Daily Planner

In addition to a weekly planner, I rely on my daily planner. It may seem unnecessary, but it really helps me break down my day and take things one day at a time. 

I like to plan when I can go to the gym, do homework, and when I have free time. Planning out your day will help you find time for things you enjoy and find time for work that needs to get done. It’ll help you not forget to do certain things and stay on top of your work!

1. Using Apps for Convenience

Recently, I discovered Sticky Notes on Windows, also called Stickies on Mac, and it’s super helpful while in class! When a professor mentions an upcoming due date or says a reminder, it’s easy to jot it down on a virtual sticky note. Within the application, there are features like bulleted lists, different sticky note colors, crossing out tasks, and bolding that help you visualize your notes. It’s super quick and convenient to use!

Hopefully, these three tips will make your semester smooth sailing! Keeping track of your work and planning in advance will earn you an organized and an A+-filled semester!

Mya Cocchiola is a senior at The University of Tampa and is part of the editing team for Her Campus at Tampa chapter. Her articles are mainly about experiences, wellness, academics, and relationships. This school year, Mya is interning as a Marketing Assistant at Foodie Card, a subscription-based program that provides discounts while eating out and donates meals. She also works at Jeni’s Ice Cream! She is an Advertising and Public Relations major with a concentration in PR and is considering pursuing a marketing career or even law school. At home in New York, Mya has 2 Labradors and loves spending time with her sisters, parents, and friends. In Tampa, she loves to go to the beach, get coffee, and work out with her friends. She also just finished watching the Breaking Bad trilogy!