Wellness

How I am Surviving COVID-19 as an Immunocompromised Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

When coronavirus spread across the world, people grew worried, but me especially so. I am chronically ill, and this illness compromises my immune system, making me more susceptible to illnesses like viruses. So, before any quarantine was in place, I already locked myself in my house with my hand soap and my teddy-bear (freshly washed). So what have I been doing to keep safe in this new, changing world?

1. Washing my hands with soap, not sanitizer

Yes, I know, you hear this phrase everywhere and every minute. But washing your hands will do more for you than lathering on hand sanitizer, as hand soap cleanses your hands of every imperfection, as well as dead skin and anything on that, but hand sanitizer is antibacterial, not antiviral. Hand sanitizer will do nothing against a virus like COVID-19 or the simpler flu. Stock up on hand soap, not hand sanitizer.

2. Using Clorox bleach wipes on everything. And I mean everything

Bleach kills everything it touches, and bleach wipes can be reused, since nothing can live on it anyway. So your panic of not having enough wipes and consolidating them is actually doing more harm than good. Don’t use bleach on your skin, but door handles, countertops, bathrooms and other surfaces that have frequent touching and human interaction should be wiped down three times a day-especially if you have an immunocompromised person living with you.

3. Taking a shower after every excursion out of my home

And I’m not talking about the simple walks around the street with your dogs (unless you come into contact with a lot of people). If you go to the park, or a mall to walk around, or a restaurant to pick up the take out food you ordered, jump in the shower and rinse yourself off with body soap and hot water. Shower like a normal person and then double that if you have to still go to work or go out to get groceries, supplies, or to other places with many people. 

4. Taking zinc supplements

Despite my many, many different medications to increase my immune system, natural supplements like zinc work very well when facing sicknesses. I take zinc, turmeric root powder, and other natural supplements to boost my immunity, especially when I feel any pain, mental or physical, anywhere. If your body is off trying to fix a problem you already have – a broken bone, a headache, or even a bruise – your immune system decreases efficiency when other ailments enter your body. So give your immunity the boost it needs, especially if you already have other issues it is working hard to get better.

5. Mental health comes first

This transition to a different normal has been rough on everyone. Online classes suck, parents are hard to deal with, and now you have more distractions when trying to get your work done. Anxiety, depression, panic, and overstimulation are all normal things to feel in this new world, so remember to take care of your mental and physical state before your grades. Ever since this started, I have not been sleeping well (insomniacs unite!), but I take time out of my day to rest, and have started to go to bed earlier to counter the hours of restlessness I feel each night. If my senses become overloaded, I find a nice, quiet corner and hold on to something comforting – whether that be my dog, or a sweatshirt. With panic and anxiety attacks, remember that it will pass, and practice breathing and counting techniques. Look up things to add to your toolbox of calming tactics during this hard time. But remember, if any of it becomes too unbearable for you to do alone, please reach out and get help. You aren’t alone and there will always be at least one person willing to get you the help you need.

6. Sunlight isn’t just necessary for plants

Go outside where it is safe. Fresh air heals us as much as it does anything else, so if you’re feeling stuck, you’re allowed to go outside, but please remain 6 feet away from people not in your household. People like me get really sick, really fast, so don’t be offended if we don’t talk to you, acknowledge you, or go near you. This virus is serious and we need to be as safe as possible, but that doesn’t mean we also don’t need our fresh air too. Dust will do a lot of harm, so don’t let it build up.

7. Leaving my packages outside for a few days

Don’t steal my packages please (lol). COVID-19 remains active on cardboard for 24 hours, and can stay alive on the material for around three days inactive. By leaving shipments outside, or decontaminating them, opening them, and leaving the cardboard outside, I am protecting myself and my household from any unknown pathogens. We don’t know how many hands that package went through before resting at the stoop, and maybe it was the most recent set of hands that has the virus. There are so many unknowns about this illness that being overly cautious is not something to laugh at.

COVID-19 is getting more serious as time passes, so please keep healthy and clean, and remember that taking precautions is not silly. It may protect lives. So wear gloves to the supermarket, take ten showers a day, wash your hands until they shrivel up like prunes (but lotion them after). Just remember that not only the elderly get sick from this, and it is becoming more and more apparent every day how deadly this disease is to everyone.

College kid just trying to survive
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely