This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I don’t know about you, but when I feel stressed, I love turning on meditation music to decompress. If you know what I’m talking about, then you’ve probably noticed that a lot of these selections list frequencies like 432 Hz, 528 Hz, or 852 Hz. These pitches are said to have different effects on the mind and body. In fact, many experiments have been conducted with water or even grains of salt to show different geometric formations that these vibrations can create. Many of them are very symmetrical, but others look a lot more disorganized.

432 Hz, the frequency known as the “miracle tone,” has been proven to create very pretty, symmetrical patterns, while 440 Hz is known to create a more disorganized shape. Unfortunately, this is the frequency that the majority of popular music is set at. If it is true that these frequencies have the same impact on humans as they do on molecules outside of our bodies, then we must be impacted somehow by these tones. 

Realistically, giving up popular music to protect ourselves from these “negative” frequencies is just not going to happen for the average person. Even if the frequencies that our favorite songs are set at are impacting us at a molecular level, we still get so much joy from listening to our favorite artists. This is why I think taking the time to listen to healing frequencies along with our usual music is a great idea. If I’ve listened to 440 Hz music all day, I am sure to end the night with a healing tone selection, so I feel I’ve implemented some healthy balance into my life!

Jessie is a Music Technology major at the University of Tampa. She loves to write about music, spirituality, entertainment, cooking, and astrology. Outside of Her Campus, she is pursuing her career in the music industry and works with Grammy U and Women In Music. (ɔ◔‿◔)ɔ♥