Wellness

Flying Solo: Advice from a Single Girl on Valentine’s Day   

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As Cupid launches his arrows, the air becomes infused with the sweet scent of roses, the hues of pink and red, and a flood of couples’ posts on social media. For many single girls, this time of year may stir up feelings of loneliness or being left out. But hey, let’s flip the script! Valentine’s Day isn’t just a homage to romantic love; it’s a jubilation of all kinds of love, especially the things that make us endlessly rich in it.  

In a world that constantly bombards us with the gospel of romantic relationships, especially on our social feeds, there’s this notion that, as single girls, we might feel obliged to skip the Valentine’s Day shenanigans. Well, not this year.  

Flying solo should never be seen as a shortfall or an incomplete chapter. Guard your happiness — no one else gets to hold the reins. Everyone’s journey is unique, and the idea that their relationship status determines one’s worth or happiness is a narrow perspective. Embracing singleness is a VIP pass to personal growth and finding yourself.  

This heart-filled holiday is the perfect excuse to steer our focus away from the romantic mayhem and celebrate the most epic and everlasting relationship we’ll ever have — the one with ourselves. It’s essential to embrace the season of singleness rather than view it as a period of exclusion. This is when we can concentrate on the numerous people who fill our lives with love and joy. How can we ever expect a fulfilling romantic relationship with someone if we cannot value the connections we already have? Love extends beyond romantic relationships and has a broader address than just romantic boulevards. So, let’s not let any aches of exclusion dim the spotlight on the solo season; let us own it and make it a festival of love. Here are some tips to make that happen:

A Love Letter to You: Use this time to rediscover and appreciate all the qualities that make you who you are. Embrace your strengths, acknowledge your achievements, and do things you love. Being single provides an opportunity for personal growth and self-improvement. Value yourself as if you were your friend, let yourself know what you are proud of, but also hold yourself accountable, open that relationship with yourself, and be honest as if you were in one. Take this time to pursue your passions, write a new list of goals, and invest in your personal development. Whether learning a new skill, exploring a hobby or taking up a fitness challenge, the possibilities for personal growth are endless.

girl smiling light summer happy natural
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Enjoy Your Own Company: Master the art that is being with yourself. Take yourself on a date, pamper yourself, get dressed up, or binge on your favorite rom-com. Finding contentment and fun in solitude is crucial to improving your future relationships.  

Valentine’s Day is About Love, Period. Remember that Valentine’s Day celebrates love in all its forms. Love extends beyond romantic relationships to include family, friends, and, most importantly, yourself. Take this opportunity to express gratitude for the love surrounding you, regardless of its romantic nature. Tell people you love them! 

This Season Will Pass: The season of singleness is not a permanent state. Life is ever-changing, and love has a way of finding us when we least expect it. Instead of fixating on being single, focus on the present moment and the positive aspects of your life. It may feel slow and lonely now, but when that special someone does come along, you may miss this time you had with yourself. Know that you are worthy of love; the right person will fall into your heart when it’s time. 

Savor this solo season, for it’s the seed being planted for who you will flourish into – and trust me, it can be an absolute blast if you tweak your perspective. One Day, you may miss this time, for eventually, life will change when that someone comes along, and you will never be able to devote all this love to yourself and your life like you can right now. Take your best solo photos and get dressed up for you! By embracing self-love and reveling in the bliss of your own company, you are not just surviving Valentine’s Day but crafting an adventure of love with none other than yourself. Cheers to the solo serenade!

Hi! I'm Sienna and I am currently a freshman at the University of Tampa pursuing a major in Allied Health and minors in Leadership Studies and Professional Selling. Outside of school, you'll often find me enjoying beach days, exploring new restaurants, or lounging in a hammock falling into a good book.