Featured Organization: Gluten-Free Improv

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

We have a lot of creative people here at UT, and the Gluten-Free Improv Club here on campus is a great opportunity for those interested in letting their creative juices flow on a stage. We had a chance to talk with Griffin Guinta, a junior Writing and Theatre major, to learn a little bit more of what Gluten-Free Improv Club is all about.

How did Improv club get started?

GG: Once upon a time in the days of freshman year I met this guy named Steven Card. One of the first conversations we ever had was about our mutual love for improv comedy. After a while it dawned on us that UT was devoid of an improv club so we decided to make one ourselves. We spent the whole summer leading up to sophomore year planning out how we would structure the club and get people to join. At our first meeting in Fall of 2013 we somehow had around 30 people show up, which was pretty amazing. Our official name is actually Gluten-Free Improv: “A Healthy Alternative to Your Comedic Lifestyle.” When we were brainstorming names that one fit the bill the best. It sort of epitomizes our weird and eccentric style.  We’re not actually Gluten-Free though. :(

What is the purpose of Improv club?

GG: When people come to Improv Club we want them to leave their worries at the door. Our main purpose is to encourage people to be themselves and take risks on the stage that they wouldn’t normally take in real life. Our other goal is to entertain people and make them laugh. We plan on having a few shows this semester so that other students can see what we’re all about.

What typically goes on during a meeting?

GG: Typically we do different improv exercises and games to teach people the basics of improvisation. We kind of parrot some of the games from the show “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” Also, we try to switch it up every week and incorporate “themes” so that people experience all aspects of improv. For example, one week we did “Physicality Day” and practiced games that entailed more physical humor.

Who should get involved with Improv club?

GG: Our dream is to get all 7,500 UT Students and President Vaughn involved. Just kidding, but I think any student on campus could have a fun time if they came out to one of our meetings.

Why do you love Improv club?

GG: I love it because of the community it creates. I’ve met so many creative and fantastic individuals that I might’ve never even talked to if not for Improv.

What makes Improv club so unique?

GG: All the incredibly creative ideas that seemingly come out of nowhere at every meeting. Because it’s improv you have no idea what’s going to come out of someone’s mouth and more often than not it’s absolutely hilarious. More than anything though, what makes us unique is our diversity. We have Biology majors, Music majors, and people that have never done improv in their lives. But despite our differences, we all work so well together.

Anything you’d like to say to encourage people to check your organization out?

GG: If you’re looking for a judgement-free place to laugh and have a good time then come check out Gluten-Free Improv. We’d love to have you!

Gluten-Free Improv meets weekly on Friday at 5:30pm in Reeves Theatre. 

Claire is a junior Writing and FMA (Film & Media Arts) double major. She hails from Huntsville, AL, where she resided from the point of birth until beginning her journey here at the University of Tampa. She is greatly enjoying her college career, and can be seen hopping around campus, either going to class, or doing something in relation to the many organizations she is a part of. When not actively involved with classes, Her Campus, and/or other organizations, Claire can be found lounging around in her room, most likely glued to her laptop, or writing with her quill pen in her journal, or perhaps reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy (her latest book quest).