Featured Organization: African Student Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

The University of Tampa’s African Student Association is an organization for lovers of Africa and African cultures. Led by UT junior Robert Mutagwada, ASA strives to provide a home away from home for African students and those who are simply “Afro curious.” Here’s what Robert had to say about the diverse organization. 

What is the purpose of ASA?

The purpose of ASA is to bring people together and promote the African culture to everyone. You don’t have to be African to join us.  You can be “Afro curious.”

What does the future hold for ASA?

The future is limitless. We see ourselves participating in more off-campus ventures than we have in the past. We would like to work with various cultural organizations to promote awareness of what’s going on in the world.

Why should people join ASA?

Students should join ASA to enjoy a sense of togetherness that they haven’t felt before and diversify their social circles. Also, they should join to learn awesome things about Africa and not just the stigmas.

What do you enjoy most about ASA?

The plethora of diverse cultures. I get to learn about people’s different views and think in a way that I’ve never thought before.

What type of events does ASA host?

We presented a “Genocide Awareness Week” that promoted awareness about killings taking place in Africa that were being overlooked. We also are hosting the International Dance Festival on Saturday, November 15. It’s a time to take people back to their roots through music and dance. 

Members of ASA come from a diverse range of backgrounds including Kenya, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Egypt and many other beautiful places that make up the large continent. However, membership is open to all students not solely those who are of African descent. So, come one come all and join ASA every Thursday in Plant Hall, room 225, at 8:30 for weekly meetings!