Do Directors get Enough Credit from their Younger Audiences?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Growing up and watching movies or tv shows, I was never educated on the directors. I was unaware of what they did or who they were. The main thing that I was focused on was the actors/actresses. They get the most attention from younger audiences without regard for the director and writers because their faces are shown, which associates them with the show; however, the vision comes from the director. 

Actresses and actors bring the director’s ideas to life. The directors are the ones with the big picture. Of course, people can argue that the actresses and actors make the films and tv shows amazing, but there would be no story or characters if the director didn’t create it or tell them what to do.

The director is responsible for various things while directing films or shows. They give the stories of their life and feelings. They are in charge of all of the creative aspects of movie production:

• Casting
  • Production design
  • Storylines
  • Set the tone
  • Direct the talent and cameras
  • Work with the editors
  • & more!

Being young and uneducated on how deep the industry goes explains why younger audiences don’t know information about directors and writers. Still, they should because that is where the creativity stems from. 

Film buffs will always first look at who’s the director of a movie, and that information can give you hints as to how the film will be. Some directors, like Quentin Tarantino or Christopher Nolan, have specific styles that make a movie stand out. Check out the auteur theory if you are interested in directors and their particular styles. Being part of the film world can offer a new light and aspect of things and a conversational community. 

Directors and Writers need more credit. Streaming platforms can help by advertising or creating pop-ups with information on directors and writers. IMDB is a resourceful app and website that can give you information on a film or show. It will help inform audiences about writers, directors, statistics, reviews, ratings, and more. Being a part of the film world is an amazing learning experience.

Alexis Duffy is the President and Senior Editor at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes and edits articles as well as managing the chapter at Tampa. Her articles cover entertainment and lifestyle topics focusing on films and traveling. Outside of Her Campus, Alexis is a senior at the University of Tampa, double majoring in Communication, Media & Culture, and Advertising & Public Relations. She is currently an part time employee at the Tampa Bay Arts & Education Network, where she works on media projects and shadows in the tv studios helping with production. Alexis enjoys art, adventures, film, and traveling during her downtime. She often finds herself going down a rabbit hole when watching videos about the production of a movie, interviews, and fun facts about cinema. Alexis always seems to have her phases, whether it’s a Harry Potter marathon or watching The Dark Knight Trilogy.