This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

This October has officially marked one hundred years of Disney. Though the company’s grasp on the world is controversial at best, its films have touched the queer community in a silent whisper that often goes unnoticed. What you might not know is that these hundred years of magic have been brought to you by many queer folk. One of my favorite stories from the Disney Renaissance is that of Disney’s head playwright, Howard Ashman.

Ever since I heard his story, it has stuck within my treasured moments of joy as a child. He wrote the lyrics for the monumental films The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast, while Alan Menken composed alongside him. At the same time, Ashman was living tragically with AIDS. He hid his condition for several years until he confided in Menken.

Menken and Disney ultimately accepted Ashman’s secret life and let him work from home to take it easy. Given the times, hearing that the company did this for Ashman instead of throwing him out of a job will always warm my heart.

Ashman passed in 1991, shortly before the opening of Beauty and the Beast. The film was released with a special dedication in the credits from the Disney family. The dedication still brings tears to my eyes as it reads, “To our friend Howard, who gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul. We will be forever grateful.” 

That quote embodies his spirit. It’s equally heartwarming and heartbreaking – the thought of a man who was struggling silently but burying himself into fantasy characters to make children smile. I will remember forever how “Part of Your World” had me singing at the top of my lungs. Jodie Benson, the voice of Ariel herself, has said she hears Ashman’s voice when she sings the haunting melody. Thank you to Benson for continuing to honor him.

I truthfully believe Disney still appeals to queer kids. Now, we have entire anthems about being different with characters that are misunderstood. It’s important to remember the legacy of how Ashman’s words spoke to so many of us.

Just relisten to some of his lyrics: 

-“Out of the sea. Wish I could be. Part of that world.”-Part of Your World, The Little Mermaid

-“I’ve wasted time. I’ve wasted me. So say I’m slow for my age. A late bloomer, okay, I agree…make good and finally make you proud of your boy.”-Proud of Your Boy, Aladdin

Thank you to Howard Ashman’s brave words and kind soul. I’d only hope his spirit would be championing the queer Disney family who are fighting in the wake of the “don’t say gay” bill.

Casey LaPlaca has been a member for the Her Campus at Tampa chapter since coming to the University. Her articles chronicle her consumption of art and media; also her occasional observations about injustices and inconsistencies. Beyond Her Campus, Casey is a Junior at the University of Tampa, specializing in Design with a double minor in Writing and Advertising. Her passion for art and expression lies in her lived experiences, which she writes about here and reflects on as a member of the Diversity Advisory Board at her University. Casey believes in both keeping a positive attitude and practicing the art of decompressing through rewatching a sitcom. She invites readers to sit back and enjoy a cold milkshake while we get nostalgic and/or enlightened.