Career > Money

Deck the Halls Without Breaking the Bank: Budget-Friendly Gifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

The holiday season is officially here (thankfully)! Spending time with family and friends, kicking back, and being home is what you deserve after a long semester of hard work. It’s finally time to exchange gifts, enjoy desserts, and celebrate traditions.

Although the holidays are full of joy, one thing can be particularly overwhelming: gifting. Receiving gifts and giving gifts to people you care about feels great. But gifting can be super expensive, especially for us college students. It’s also sometimes hard to find the perfect gift for someone. With these tips, you’ll be able to buy gifts on a budget and still give something meaningful this holiday season.

Five Below, Five Below, Five Below.

One of the best places to shop on a budget is Five Below. Why? Everything is $5 or below! It’s rare to find pricing like that today. Five Below has a variety of products, from makeup to phone cases, stuffed animals, and so much more. You can find just about anything for anyone in that store. It’s also perfect for a gift exchange with a budget. If the limit is $15-$20, you will be able to get great gifts from Five Below!

Explore the Target Dollar Spot!

Not that everything in the Target Dollar Spot is exactly $1, but it’s mainly all under $5. Target has such cute and affordable holiday products. There are decorations and small gifts for Christmas, Hanukkah, and more. This section is also perfect for getting multiple gifts for a gift exchange. Also, there are a lot of craft items in this section. This is the perfect opportunity to craft something memorable and personable for the person you’re gifting!

Get Artsy!

You can buy an art canvas, paintbrushes, and acrylic paint just about anywhere. Even some dollar stores carry art supplies. If you feel creative and want to make something super personable, this is the perfect idea. You could paint a portrait of the two of you, a solo portrait of them, their pet, a place you both love or anything. The best part is you don’t even have to be good at painting, and it’s the thought and sentiment that counts.

Gift Them an Experience!

Some people don’t need a physical item as a gift. Organizing a fun day works, too! You could take the person you want to gift ice skating, head downtown, and buy dinner or lunch, and it doesn’t have to be fancy. There are even a lot of places to see holiday lights and decorations in public for free. A small gesture, spending time together, taking pictures, and having fun could be a great gift.

So get planning! There are so many possibilities and ways to gift on a budget. Just remember, it’s the thought and effort that counts. You don’t need expensive and fancy gifts to show someone how much you appreciate them! Happy holidays (and happy shopping)!

Mya Cocchiola is a senior at The University of Tampa and is part of the editing team for Her Campus at Tampa chapter. Her articles are mainly about experiences, wellness, academics, and relationships. This school year, Mya is interning as a Marketing Assistant at Foodie Card, a subscription-based program that provides discounts while eating out and donates meals. She also works at Jeni’s Ice Cream! She is an Advertising and Public Relations major with a concentration in PR and is considering pursuing a marketing career or even law school. At home in New York, Mya has 2 Labradors and loves spending time with her sisters, parents, and friends. In Tampa, she loves to go to the beach, get coffee, and work out with her friends. She also just finished watching the Breaking Bad trilogy!