This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I love reading; here are some of my recommendations if you are struggling to find a good book to read this year!

Mystery: The Club by Elbert Lloyd

The Club is a fun murder mystery with multiple characters pov’s, a fun setting, and a great plot. This was a fun and easy read that I recommend to anyone wanting a good mystery. Also, here’s a fun fact: It was read by Reese Witherspoon’s book club!

Classic: Pride and Prejudice

I am a bit biased in my recommendation because this is one of my favorite books ever, but if you want to try to read a classic but are intimidated by books such as The Great Gatsby or Brave New World (both I’ve read and recommend if you are willing to deep dive into the deeper meanings), Pride and Prejudice is a short book that follows a simple plot. It also doesn’t hurt that the Pride and Prejudice 2005 adaptation is amazing as well. Matthew McFayden is the perfect Mr. Darcy.

Banned Books: The Virgin Suicides

With the banned book list only growing, especially in Florida, I just want to say how important it is to continue reading these books. I was lucky enough to read many banned books while still in school, such as The Catcher in the Rye, The Color Purple, 1984, and Brave New World, all of which were very good reads. The varying lessons taught and messages sent through these books are significant, and they deserve to be read. That being said, I really enjoyed The Virgin Suicides specifically. The perspective of the book is never told through the Lisbon sisters, and it will leave you wondering. I think the book is very unique and, again, not a long read. There is also the 1993 film that is equally as good, though I will always prefer a book over a movie.

Novel: Chronicle of a Death Foretold

This is one of the books I read while taking AP Literature and AP Language in high school, and I can not recommend this book enough. It’s not very long, explores gender roles, and was one of my favorite reads we discussed in class. This novel will leave you shocked and will really make you think.

My name is Amanda and I am currently a Freshman at the University of Tampa and a new member at Her Campus. I’m from Orlando, Florida and played volleyball for 8 years and have traveled a lot so, most of my articles will focus on that interest. I study journalism at the University of Tampa and look forward to writing on topics that interest me. I do not have much experience so this will be a great learning opportunity. A fun fact about me is that I’m a twin, and I have four pets back at home. I have a lot of experience fostering kittens and with volunteer work. I also love to cook and bake. I can’t wait to meet new people and share my articles with everyone!