This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Readjusting to the routine of school and returning to a normal schedule after a long break can be challenging. Especially considering the responsibilities of academic work and having a busy schedule while actively participating in college activities. Since this change may be overwhelming, here are five strategies to help you avoid the “back to school blues.”

1. Staying Social: When returning to school, there can be a lot of pressure to get started on your academics, and you may feel overwhelmed by the amount of work, which can make it difficult to maintain social relationships with friends. Finding new methods to stay social with friends and avoiding spending time sitting at your desk all day doing homework are the best ways to prevent this. Even if that means getting coffee with friends, taking a walk, or simply spending some time outside. When you feel that your work is isolating you, it is important to maintain social connections. 
  1. Staying Fit: Going to the gym and maintaining your physical and mental health is another approach to prepare your mind for the work that lies ahead when readjusting to school life. In addition, it can serve as a way of temporarily separating yourself from worries and relieving yourself of stress and anxiety. 
  1. Staying Present: Being present at all times is essential when readjusting to life at school. This means that in order to feel really present and in the moment at school, it’s critical to be engaged in on-campus activities as much as you can after you return to college life so that it can make it easier to forget about the sadness of being away from home. Being present makes it easier to socialize and interact with other students and have an enjoyable experience on campus. 
  1. Staying Positive: It is important to adopt an optimistic outlook if you want to be enthusiastic about returning to school. There are some methods to maintain a happy attitude in the midst of the chaos that comes with returning to school, even though sometimes it can be easier said than done. Whether it means making a list of the things you are excited about for the near future, immersing yourself in the company of positive people, setting goals, practicing mindful meditation, or even staying focused on solutions and focusing on finding solutions and taking positive actions.

5. Staying Organized: It might be challenging to get used to a regular schedule when returning to school. In order to feel much more prepared for upcoming school days and to be mentally prepared for what is ahead in the school year, it is important that you maintain organization when returning to school. Stress can be decreased by having a prepared, well-organized mindset. Make a plan, and get all of the supplies and materials you need so that you can set yourself up for accomplishment.

Taylor Quinn is a social media manager and writer for Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She is part of the social media team who posts regularly for Her Campus events and updates as well as engaging with viewers and followers. Her articles cover a variety of subjects, including pop culture, entertainment, and lifestyle topics. Taylor is a sophomore at the University of Tampa who is majoring in both Film and Communications, Media, and Culture. She has worked on numerous student film sets and is currently a member of a number of clubs at the University of Tampa, including Tampa's Cru, a religious organization, and being a student mentor to incoming freshmen. Taylor is from Kansas City, Missouri and enjoys exploring big cities, watching movies playing her guitar, listening to music, and adventuring new places.