Riley Keough and Sam Claflin in Daisy Jones and the Six
Lacey Terrell/Prime Video

Amazon Prime Video Book-to-Screen Adaptations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Upon the recent release of Daisy Jones and the Six on Amazon Prime, I have reflected on how well the platform has done with book-to-screen adaptations. I believe that this is ultimately due to the liberties taken by the directors and producers in altering and adding to the storylines. As a result, viewers are more willing to allow room for inconsistencies compared to if Amazon tried to replicate the book exactly. Amazon is successful at giving a new life to a story that has already been told. 

Comparing the book and the show Daisy Jones and the Six, there are many differences. In the book by Taylor Jenkins Reid, many events are simply alluded to, leaving Amazon to invent scenes. A major one is the kiss between Billy Dunne and Daisy Jones. In the book, it is not said that Billy was unfaithful with Daisy; a kiss is never mentioned. However, Amazon added this detail to enhance the story and show the viewers how complicated and intense Billy and Daisy’s emotions were for each other. 

Another book-to-screen adaptation that was well done was the Summer I Turned Pretty. One of the biggest differences here is the debutante ball. In the books by Jenny Han, the debutante ball does not exist. However, in the show, season one revolves around the ball. I believe the choice to add a new plot in the show helps to move the story along better. In addition, the debutante ball further emphasizes one of the essential themes of the Summer I Turned Pretty; Belly is not a little girl anymore. 

I hope to see Amazon produce more book-to-screen adaptations, as this is an area the platform excels in. In addition, I believe other platforms could learn from Amazon.

Hi, my name is Maura! I am a Communication major at the University of Tampa.