This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Thrifting is like digging for a chunk of gold. There is work to find the hidden gems, but in the end, the results are so gratifying. A personal sense of style can be found through thrifting, one-of-a-kind pieces. 

But what is thrifting? Thrifting, in a fashion sense, is when one searches in thrift shops or second-hand shops to find unique and vintage clothing pieces. 

Thrifting is on the rise because the younger generations value sustainability, affordability, and accessibility. When shopping second-hand, the lifetime of clothes is extended, and it helps the environment by eliminating extra packaging. Thrifting allows for cheaper prices because most of the items are donated, and the money will go toward the local community. With the rise of microtrends coming from social media, thrifting is a great way to make these trends accessible to everyone. Thrifting the newest trends helps to alleviate the pressure of having the next best thing and adds a unique touch to following the trends. 

Now, this is a Girl’s Guide to Thrifting and will hopefully help you learn the ins and outs of finding the best clothing pieces. Going through 5 simple tricks to help you get the best out of your thrift. 

1. Have a plan!

When you go into a shop, think about some things that you are looking for. Whether it is a certain silhouette or type of shoe, look for something specific when thrifting. Have an idea of what you are looking for and look in all sections of the store – things get moved around constantly and may be in the wrong category. Shop for out-of-season items to get better deals, and look for the specific colored tags on sale for the deal of the day. 

2. Go for colors and textures!

Think about what makes your eye pop. Gravitate towards the colors you normally wear. For instance, if you feel confident in red, go for it! If the texture is pleasing and offers something unique, don’t be scared by it; rather, embrace it if you think it is a cool piece! Look for clothing that is made out of all-natural fibers like 100% cotton, wool, silk, and cashmere. 

3. Is it ugly or ugly cute?

A lot of the time, I wonder if something is chic or just unattractive, but the best finds I have found I have called ugly cute. There are no rules that the piece has to be cute by itself; if it needs the extra help of being styled, give the piece its chance. Be open to styling the piece differently. For instance, if you found an amazing long skirt but you want it to be a dress- style it as a dress! 

4. Fitting Your Style!

Think about the basics- what kind of style shirts do you gravitate towards? Do you love wearing a turtleneck? Or do you always layer a button-down over your bathing suit? Buy what you already love and look for pieces that will fit your specific style. This can also be a great time to experiment with new pieces that are out of your comfort zone, so don’t be afraid to try new items that you wouldn’t normally gravitate towards. 

5. Run away from brands! 

Don’t just look for a name brand – it doesn’t mean the piece is automatically good. When people buy brand names just to buy brand names, it leads to waste if the person doesn’t wear the clothes. Also, Goodwill is starting to raise the prices of Lululemon and other brands astronomically. The best way to buy these second-hand is from local consignment stores or apps like Depop, Poshmark, and Curtsy. If you don’t love it but it’s a good brand, don’t impulse buy it; leave it for someone else who may love it. 

All in all, thrifting should be fun and a way to make fashion new and exciting. There is no right or wrong way to shop second-hand and find pieces that are unique to you. Thrifting may not be successful your first time, but make the experience an adventure with friends or family. Your treasure hunt starts now!

Riley Snowden is a current senior studying Communication, Media, and Culture at The University of Tampa. She has conducted research on a Feminist approach to Open Source Investigation with a focus on the Russian and Ukraine War. Snowden is originally from Annapolis, Maryland and enjoys being active by running.