5 Steps to Throwing the Perfect Halloween Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

(Images taken from Pinterest)

Halloween is the one time of year that almost everyone looks forward to. It is the one day that you get to be anyone that you want. Whether it be a scary, sexy, or an out-of-this-world costume that you choose to wear, the goal on Halloween is to have a spook-tacular time. College students usually have a ton of parties lined up and go through at least three costumes for this one holiday. If you want to throw your own banging party, follow these 5 steps, and I guarantee it will be one wild, hallow-tastic rager.

1. Invitations – In order to throw a great Halloween party, you have to not only invite a bunch of people, you also want to get the word around to the right people. The easiest way to do this would be making a Facebook invitation (yeah right, no one reads those anymore). Try making flyers (tell your promoter friends!) Everyone knows word of mouth by personal invites will get people to your party in a hurry.
  2. Decorations – Remember, your venue is the main attraction. Decorations can make or break your party. Who goes to a Halloween party with no decorations? The first reaction out of your guest’s mouth will be WTF! There are so many scary and cool decorations that you can get. Some must-haves would be a fog machine, cob-webs, skeletons, a black light, zombies, and tombstones. There has to be a balance, you want to give off an “OMG, this is a spooky cool place” not an “OMG, this is so scary where is my mom?”
  3. Costumes and Activities – The policy for this party is that everyone MUST have costumes. That is the reason you are having this party anyway. Plus, you don’t want anyone feeling uncomfortable if they just so happen to miss the memo (What a joke, shame on them for forgetting). Plus, it’s always cool to see what people come up with and have the guts to wear on Halloween. Don’t forget to always have an activity because if the party does become a bust, you can always get it going again. A Halloween favorite activity is bobbing for apples but, add a twist to it! Try cutting faces into the apples before tossing them in the water, so they get that creepy, shrunken head effect. Get your imagination going and keep things interesting.
  4. Food – College students are like a black hole when it comes to food. They will eat and eat because it keeps them happy 24/7 (seriously though, pizza is one of life’s greatest pleasures). At your party, all you need is mini-snacks to shock the crowd such as eyeball gumdrops, dirt chocolate pudding and bloody cupcakes. The more creative the food, the more your party will be remembered. You will forever be remembered as the party host with creepy yet delicious food.
  5. DRINKS! – A wild Halloween party is what we are going for here so drinks are a must! If you forget anything on this list, do NOT forget drinks. There are so many weird and eerie drink ideas to make. Getting a drink from a bubbling and foggy witches brew pot is not only trippy, it’ll gets people in the hallow-mood.

Now go forth and conquer the night! Happy Halloween Collegiettes!