48 Hours in Copenhagen with $48

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Senior year of high school brings about so many exciting things: homecoming, prom, graduation. But for me, the most exciting event I had planned was a trip to Copenhagen, Denmark, with my three best friends. At the time, I was ready to drop hundreds of dollars on expensive hotels, cheesy sightseeing spots, expensive restaurants, and lavish shops.

While studying abroad in Europe last fall, I knew one of the first places I had to visit was Copenhagen, but I’m no longer a carefree 17-year-old with no sense of money. I’ve since learned what a budget is and how to squeeze a penny for all its worth. I spent a luxurious weekend in Copenhagen and only spent about $50, and it is more accessible than you may think.

Hostels are your best friend. As a student or budget traveler in general, I would recommend staying in hostels for numerous reasons, the most obvious is the price. Hostels are bountiful across Europe, and it is not hard to find a clean, cozy, and hotel-like hostel for less than $20 a night. Hostels are also a great way to meet people from around the world who are likely similar in age. I stayed at the Urban House Copenhagen by Meininger and paid only $23 per night. The hostel was less than a 10-minute walk from all the iconic attractions, which brings me to my next point: walk everywhere.  

Walking in Copenhagen is not difficult. The city is very flat, with sidewalks and walking paths everywhere. Along nearly every street in Copenhagen are adorable small businesses, grassy parks, food vendors, and so much more that will make your leisure walk just as enjoyable as your destination.

You’re probably going to work up an appetite doing all that walking. Food is expensive in Copenhagen so I would recommend, if possible, that you cook your own food, picking up some essentials at a local grocer. Another perk to hostels is that they usually have large kitchens for guests to use. If this isn’t an option for you, I would recommend trying some of the plentiful street vendors. I tried a delicious hotdog with what seemed to have every topping under the sun for only $2.45. Street vendors are also a great way to support local small business owners.

Copenhagen is full of amazing, unique, and, best of all, free sights to explore. One of Copenhagen’s most iconic attractions is the colorful row of townhouses along the Nyhavn Canal. There are plenty of shops and restaurants if you’re looking to splurge, but just admiring the simplicity of the houses is an attraction in itself. Another must-see free sight is the Christiansborg Palace. Christiansborg is the residence of the Danish royal family when they visit the capital. You can pay a small fee to enter the building, but walking the beautiful grounds and stables is free. The Copenhagen Opera House is a gorgeous piece of modern art that you can wander around for free. It is right across the bridge from the Nyhavn Canal.

An iconic Copenhagen sight that is a must-do is the round tower. For just $5, you can wander up the beautiful spiral ramp to the top of the tower for one of Copenhagen’s best views. Located on one of the busiest shopping streets in the city, the Round Tower is the best place to see Copenhagen from above. Here you can see the city’s beautiful canals, historical sites, and Opera House. Keep your eyes out as the entire tower is built around a hollow center when a 12-year-old boy fell to his death in the 19th century. Today, the hollow center is covered with glass, allowing visitors to feel as though they are floating above the 25-meter center.

So, by now, you may have a few more coins to spend and are looking for a great night out. Overall, drinks are quite expensive at the more popular upscale bars, but there are a few hidden gems where you can get a delicious pint or cocktail without breaking the bank. Located in the city center, the Old Irish Pub offers a large bar, dance floor, and stage. The front of the pub has a more relaxed, sit-down pub feel, while the back hosts live performers and a dance floor. No matter what your budget is or what energy you seek, the Old Irish Pub can offer you a great, cheap night out in Copenhagen.  

Traveling to Scandinavia does not have to cost you a fortune. With a few tips and tricks, it is not impossible to check off your bucket list on a budget.

Bianca Gallo is an Editor and Writer at the University of Tampa’s chapter of Her Campus. She enjoys writing about lifestyle and culture topics, mainly focusing on travel. Bianca is a senior journalism major at the University of Tampa where she also regularly writes for the school newspaper, The Minaret. She also studied media and professional communications at Edinburgh Napier University in Edinburgh, Scotland. When she is not writing, Bianca enjoys trying new coffee shops, binging reality T.V, and checking off her travel bucket list. Her favorite travel destination so far is Budapest, Hungary.