13 Ridiculous Ways College Kids Save Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Extra spending money is between rare and non existent for the average college kid. All of our money somehow vanishes from our bank account over the weekend… Dollar Beers sounds like a deal until you check your wallet the next morning, and Legacy prices seem to change every weekend. All of our money dwindles away spent on good times, or on the many delicious restaurants that tease us around Tampa. Everyone is told budgeting is the key, but it can be overwhelming. So, here are some ways UT students cut corners to save money.

1. Borrow clothes from friends

Why spend money shopping for new clothes when your wardrobe extends as far as your contact list?

2. Stealing cups and utensils from any food place you can

Plastic utensils help avoid washing silverware, which avoids costs of more dish soap (double whammy). There’s nothing wrong with grabbing some utensils, creamers, sugars, and anything else you really want to bring home. It comes with my meal swipe, right?

3. Last minute splurge of meal swipes

Sunday nights with extra meal swipes are the perfect end to a weekend. Better go load up on waters from the Grocer or some extra DQ for a long week coming ahead.

4. To-Go boxes

Fill them to the brim! I paid $10 for this swipe, so I will take more than 2 bananas whether you like it or not.

5. Fruit from the caf

Did you really bring your backpack to the Caf for books…or for as many bananas, apples and oranges your bag can fit?

6. Avoiding buying textbooks at all costs

Even if the professor says you need the textbook, do you REALLY need it?  Maybe decide after the first exam. Then you can save on a 90 day rental instead of a semester. Ahhh it all works out.

7. Using someone else’s Netflix account

1 account: 10 people with the passwords. Sharing is caring.

8. Take home leftovers

The meal usually tastes even better the 2nd time, just make sure to hide it from the roommates.

9. Hotel toiletries

The housekeeping cart in the hallways always seems unattended with inviting goodies (and chocolates).

10. Haircuts

Why pay for a haircut when your friend has scissors?

11. Health Center care pack

The closest thing to a first aid kit you’ll ever get.

12. Ramen Noodles

There’s no beating a 22 cent meal. 

13. Uber over taxis

Since Lyft isn’t allowed on campus…

You’ve learned how to have a good time, no matter what… Because college memories beat any amount of money.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Hi guys! My name is Kristin Collins, I am a sophomore at University of Tampa studying Public Health. I am from Princeton, New Jersey. My dream in life is to travel the world, maybe ride an elephant or two considering they are my favorite animal! I am probably the only college kid who loves the fresh start of an early monday morning. My biggest fear is wasabi, and sometimes cilantro. My favorite station on spotify is mood boosters or some indie jams.