10 Things Not To Eat on the First Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Listen up ladies! That cute guy you have been crushing on for a while finally just asked you out on a date. Not only does that mean your hair and make-up need to be on point and your outfit needs to be absolute perfection – wait who am I kidding, we ladies are ALWAYS on our “A” game – but you need to understand the rules of what not to eat on that first date. Wait a minute; who knew there were rules to follow? If you want that second and third date or even just a steamy make out after dinner you need to know the 10 major foods to avoid!

10. Spaghetti and Meatballs

Ladies, if your man is taking you to Maggiano’s you should be excited! It’s not only a great reason to look super cute in that new dress you bought but it means he is trying to impress you. BEWARE…as much as the smell and sight of the spaghetti and meatballs tempts you and makes your mouth water, don’t get it. This isn’t Lady and the Tramp. You cannot share spaghetti from your mouth to his. Save that for months down the road if you two become a couple. And if you ask any guy on campus they will most definitely say watching a girl slurp up spaghetti and getting the sauce everywhere is a major turn off. Stick with penne vodka or chicken francese.

Source

9. Wings

As delicious as eating a big plate of wings on a Monday night while watching The Bachelor in your pajamas sounds, it is most definitely not a date food. Whether you’re at The Outpost, Buffalo Wild Wings, or Hooters, where you’ll most definitely get looked at for not ordering basically the only thing on the menu, this is a food to most definitely avoid ordering. Remember how your date told you that you have a beautiful smile; well that statement will be taken back if you have wing sauce all over your cheeks and lips. Unless your guy is more of a messy eater with wings than you are you most definitely should not get them. Save it for your hour of guilty television.  

8. Ribs

There is nothing sexier than watching a girl eat a rack of ribs… said no guy ever. As fancy as the steakhouse you’re at may be, opt for the steak and not the ribs. A real woman eats ribs, but a classy lady eats them when her man isn’t trying to show her off to the world. Keep the cravings aside and your face and hands clean from this plate of disaster before you embarrass yourself way too much and have no possible way to get out of it.

Source

7. Anything Onion

I’ll give you ladies a tiny pass on this one; it’s not as obvious as garlic. Sometimes it’s easy to forget about onions they seem to be put in everything, especially on a delicious 5 Guys hamburger. Can you say yummy?! But realize it or not, that onion taste finds a way to stay on your breath. If you never got the pleasure to kiss someone who tastes like onion, trust me it’s not a pleasant experience and you really wish you had gum afterwards. Like a lot of gum. So just remember that next time you run across something with onions, remember the goal for date night: to get lots of kisses!

6. Lobster

If your man takes you to a restaurant where you can order lobster, (the expensive kind, Red Lobster doesn’t count) it is best to avoid getting lobster. Yes lobster is delicious, but also very messy. You have to crack them open, hope to God you don’t break a nail, and then pray the juice doesn’t get in your eye or stain your outfit. We want the attention to be on our pretty faces not the ugly stain that we just created from the Dead Sea monster on your plate.

5. Tacos

It doesn’t matter if you got taken to Taco Bell, Taco Bus, or some fancy Tex Mex place, tacos are not a good look on anyone. The whole “tilt your head to the side while trying to keep all the taco parts in your mouth” thing never happens…and it’s not really appealing to men. Plus the taco breath not only tastes bad but it never seems to go away until you’re practically drinking mouthwash. If you truly want a taco that bad, stick to a taco salad. It’s a lot neater, a lot easier to eat, and it’s a heck of a lot classier…no head tilting on this date…unless it’s for making out.

Source

4. Corn on the Cob

If you so happen to be taken to a country themed place or even to a family/friends barbecue for a date, consider yourself lucky! Your man is ready for you to see his real side and even feel that you are important enough to meet significant people in his life. With that being said, you can have your burgers and hotdogs, potato salad and fruit salad, but NO corn on the cob. As yummy and as much as you enjoy corn on the cob, it will ruin your smile for the rest of the night. Besides being messy to eat,  all the corn pieces can’t help but find comfort in-between your teeth. I don’t know about you but I don’t think everyone carries around floss. The struggle is beyond real trying to get the corn bits out. Keep that smile pretty girl!

3. Spinach dip and pesto sauce

Ladies, if you didn’t know this I will be slightly disappointed, this is an easy one! I personally don’t like spinach or pesto anything but let’s be honest all those little green pieces are up to no good. It all goes back to that gorgeous smile of yours. We want to keep that smile perfect, not ruin it and have that embarrassing realization that there was something in your teeth all night that your guy was staring at. So let’s try to refrain from that spinach and pesto please. 

Source

2. Spicy foods

Whether you’re at a sushi place and are craving a spicy tuna roll or at an Indian place trying out some new food with your new man please, please, please, avoid anything spicy. Spicy foods make your eyes all teary and your mouth feel as if it is on fire. The later effects of spicy foods are even more uncomfortable. Your date will be fiddling with his thumbs while you are locked up in the bathroom feeling miserable and embarrassed. Spicy foods are a guarantee to not get that good night kisses you wanted.

1. Anything Garlic

Ladies, Ladies, Ladies; this is probably the most important rule of what not to eat. If it so happens that your man takes you to Eddie’s and Sam’s on a date and while ordering you see those big delicious looking garlic knots, just walk away. Don’t do it, I’m warning you now. You can go back and get them on a girl’s day but not for a date. The smell of garlic goes beyond being in your mouth. You can smell it in your hair and on your hands and lord only knows where else. No one wants to kiss someone with garlic breath let alone have you whisper them cute secrets in their ear. No, no. Leave the garlic, take the cannoli.

Source

So the next time you’re on a date, you’ll have no probleming ordering your meal. Follow these 10 tips and  prepare for the hotteset, and freshest make out session of the semester!