This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

When you think of Valentine’s Day, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Maybe it’s the gigantic teddy bear we hope to find in our bedrooms after class, or the bouquet of roses secretly left by the door before we get home. Maybe it’s even that small box we know is hiding something especially sparkly inside. But let me ask you this: when did Valentine’s Day become so commercial? When did the lack of a present somehow mean a lack of care? And most importantly…when did Valentine’s Day stop being about love?

It seems that with people our age, the most common question asked leading up to the holiday goes something like, “What are you getting your girlfriend/boyfriend for Valentine’s Day?” For most of us, our minds immediately turn either blank or frantic with the idea that nothing we give could ever be deemed “good enough”, as the standards on gifts these days are mounting higher than ever. The pressure to please someone with the right gift has exploded, because we know that whatever we give will surely end up on social media in the following minutes. In the world of Instagram, a new crystal necklace absolutely screams just how well a relationship is supposedly going. The problem, however, is that if we are not able to give such luxurious and grand gifts, it somehow means we don’t care very much about our partner. And that is simply wrong.

There is no doubt that we all adore getting something special from our loved ones. The gift-giving practice can be extremely rewarding for both the giver and receiver, as long as the best of intentions are upheld of course. But what I hope to impart is the idea that maybe we have begun to lose ourselves in the lust for objects along the way. Aren’t the words we speak and the letters we write to one another—all things that are completely free—what this holiday stands for? A true profession of love?

I would even call to extend this day beyond the idea of romanticism as it is traditionally thought of, and instead to recognize all of the people you love in your life. I don’t wish to preach when I say that there is no greater gift in life than to be loved. To tell others that you appreciate this love and that you love them in return is undoubtedly the most special sentiment you can give.

Love is about so much more than romance. It’s a feeling that only happens when you are truly comfortable in being yourself with another person and you know that they accept you as you are. It’s an understanding you have, knowing that you’re completely safe. It’s an emotion that manifests itself in every way possible, even managing to overwhelm you sometimes. But there is one thing it is not, and one thing it will never be; love is not a material. So from now on, let’s stop treating it like one. 

Taylor Guttesman is a student at the Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.