The Tiny House Craze is Taking Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Apparently, many home-owners – old and new – are shedding traditional lifestyles in pursuit of living a simpler life in a tiny house.

Now, tiny doesn’t mean your average “tiny” apartment in a big city. It is way less space than that. In fact, the average tiny house is only 186 square feet with the smallest being 100 sq. ft. and the largest usually being only 400 sq. ft!

Why would anyone want to live in such a small house you ask? 

Here is the voice of one young woman who recently chose to leave her 2-bedoom apartment and buy a tiny house to live in with a budget of $45,000.

“After traveling, I can really appreciate less space. I want a simple life. Growing up in a 6,000 square foot house, I am very appreciative for how I grew up, but I want to do something different.” 

-Whitney, 25

If you’re contemplating where you stand on the matter, here are a few similarities all tiny-house dwellers have in common:

1. They want to live a simpler life.

There is no doubt about it that if you’re living in a tiny house, you are living simply. There’s simply no space for added luxuries or extravagant features.

2. They want to save money — not throw it all into a house.

Many tiny-house dwellers argue that mortgages are basically scams and just too expensive. Living in a tiny house allows one to significantly reduce their cost of living. In fact, more than two-thirds of tiny-house owners are mortgage free, and their utility bills are usually well under $100! The average price to build a tiny house is only $23,000 but can certainly be much less or even more depending on lots of different factors. 

3. They want to protect the earth.

Some tiny house owners use propane for heat sources or have their own generators. While some are connected to power sources nearby. Yet, others choose to be completely off the grid and obtain power through solar panels – talk about super sustainable! This happens to be one of the best parts for tiny-house owners because it’s cost effective and eco-friendly at the same time. Plus they are making good use of natural resources. 

5. They love their time.

Lots of people living in tiny homes say that they can work less and live more. They also suggest that the tiny size equates to less cleaning, less maintenance and much more leisure time!

6. They don’t want to be hoarders.

Well, when you live in such a small house you can’t have a lot of stuff! Living in a tiny house forces people to throw out the things they’ve been holding on to for years in their garage only to never use again. 

7. They love to travel.

One of the number one reasons for people to live in a tiny house is because it gives them extra money to spend towards vacationing and globetrotting. One young couple has stated affirmatively that the main reason they chose to live in a tiny house is because they would much rather spend money on experiences and going places then putting it all into a house. This is the same reason why most tiny houses are built on wheels. It’s convenient and allows them to travel whenever and wherever they want in the comfort of their own home —literally. 

So, would you live in a tiny house? 

My name is Zaynah Anderson. I'm a sophomore majoring in Television, Radio and Film with a minor in Marketing. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY which I love dearly but my dream is to move to Los Angeles, CA after college to launch a successful career in entertainment. I love children, music, writing, binge-watching shows on HGTV and I LOVE PIZZA!