The senior bucket list, DIY style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

I met my two roommates, Bri and Hayley, during my first semester at SU back in the fall of 2008. The story goes Bri and I hit it off in Spanish 102, she introduced me to her immediate roommate, Hayley, I crashed in a sleeping bag on the floor of their room every weekend, and the rest is history. Between going abroad during separate semesters and a myriad of other life-changing incidents, my roommates and I spent last year without each other, mostly absent from each other’s daily lives.

Our reunion this August was bittersweet because even though we were thrilled to be living together again under one roof, we only have one more year left at Syracuse—one more year too little.

With the knowledge that we’re facing a mere matter of months left on campus, in the city of Syracuse, and with each other, we made a pact. We made a cheesy kind of pact that friends make in middle school and resembled a fusion of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants meets Now and Then kind of thing. We vowed to stay friends forever and all that junk, but we also made a commitment to participate in every last Syracuse-must during our final year as Orange.

When making the decision to partake in certain activities, however, we came to a roadblock while doing a little bit of research: there isn’t a bucket list of senior musts for Syracuse students. The closest thing to what we were looking for was featured in USA Today’s college section and included a list of 14 points written by Allie Ditkowich. While this list was pretty spot-on, it wasn’t specific or long enough for what we’re trying to accomplish.

What to do when you can’t find what you’re looking for on the interwebs? Just in case you can’t see what’s coming—we wrote our own!

Some excerpts from our list include:

• Sleep in the Dome for a basketball game.
  • Host a homeless man in our attic (this has already been checked off our list—more on that later).
  • Make our own beer pong table out of relevant, and silly, Daily Orange articles.
  • Hit up the Finger Lakers Drive-In.
  • Build Otto out of snow in our front yard.
  • Write our names at Chuck’s.
  • Take a picture with a member of the 2011-2012 basketball team.
  • Ride the bull at Daisy Duke’s.
  • Tailgate a football game.
  • Add more bucket list activities that don’t have to do with sports.

Since there isn’t a go-to, universal list of senior year musts for SU students to refer to, create your own bucket lists with roommates and friends! I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate the reunion between my two roommates, two of my best friends, and I—it’s sure to be a fun-filled and adventurous year. Here’s to everlasting friendship!

Feel free to suggest additions to my SU senior year bucket list—the more, the merrier!

Elora likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain...but only warm rain, and especially rain that's packaged in summer thunderstorms! The sophomore magazine journalism and English major is an assistant feature copy editor for SU's independent student newspaper, the Daily Orange, and is a contributing writer for GALA Magazine. She is also a brother in the community service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. Elora has country music on her iTunes for every possible mood and she will never turn down a Dave Matthews Band concert, a trip to Panera Bread or a pickup soccer game. Although she's not sure exactly what she wants to do after graduation, she hopes to use writing to make a difference in someone's world.