RARE New York Clothing Line debuts at Syracuse in the 12th Annual Fashion’s Conscience Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

I remember meeting Ike Boakye, founder of RARE New York, for the first time and noticing his whole team with these RARE hats on. Right at the moment, I figured an up and coming designer of color like himself would be a great addition to the Annual Fashion’s Conscience Show. As time progressed and April 21, 2012 got closer, I was amazed at Ike’s determination, eagerness, and excitement for finally showcasing his fashion talent. Issac Boakye is from the Bronx, NY but was born in Kumasi, Ghana.  I call him “Michael Kors” because he is always thinking above and beyond the typical. Ike debuted his RARE NY Clothing Line for the first time at Syracuse University in the 12th Annual Fashion’s Conscience Night at the Museum themed Fashion Show. When he did the fashion show, he didn’t just put his clothes on the models, he made sure there was a theme and a story progression to his look. The ladies looked beautiful, fly, and desirable as they wore simple hoodies and sneakers or t-shirts and heels. The guys walked down the runway owning the stage, where the audience had no other option but to pay attention to the newly debuted RARE line.  I asked Ike how he thought his first show went, and he thought it was a great show despite a couple of mistakes here and there backstage. He stated he would gladly participate in the Fashion’s Conscience Show again as long as he receives some sort of token for his talents.  Right after the show was over, there were many inquiries about RARE hats, shirts, and hoodies. I suggest you all take a moment to go to www.RARE-NEWYORK.com to check it out for yourself.

After getting to talk with Ike in a little more detail he took the time to answer some of my questions below.

What is RARE? 
The name “RARE” simply stands for something different, there are other meanings to it as well.

Why did you start RARE? 
I started the clothing line RARE because I always wanted to start an urban line with a high-end twist to it.

What is the vision for your line? 
My real vision for the line is keeping everything simple but yet sophisticated.

Where do you want to go with this line? 
 I want to be one day mentioned amongst some very great designers who inspired my line.

Where is RARE in 5 years? 
 In 5 years I want RARE to be one of the most respected brands.

Who is your targeted audience for the clothes?
My target audience is people who understand fashion and also people who look for the most simplest style with some fashion sense behind it. 

What does fashion mean to you and why RARE right now? 
To me fashion is “The art of expressing yourself”. It’s RARE now because I’m tired of everyone doing the same thing.

If you want to get in contact with Mr. Ike, founder of RARE New York himself, he can be emailed at  RARENewYork@gmail.com

Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.