My show was canceled…guess I’ll never know who died

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

The TV world is much like what Heidi Klum says about fashion: one day you’re in, and the next, you’re out. Unfortunately for me, many shows I skeptically begin to watch and get hooked on often don’t make the cut. I go through stages of grief, but then move on with the next best thing: an equally awesome new TV show. I’m not ashamed to admit my Tuesday summer nights were spent hooked to the TV with my sister watching Pretty Little Liars (thankfully this wasn’t canceled!) and The Nine Lives of Chloe King. I know, a show about a half cat girl sounds like it’s doomed to fail, right? But I somehow started to watch it and the pretty-faced British boy helped convince me to stick around. The episodes got progressively better, ending in the biggest cliffhanger season finale I’ve ever seen. Lives were on the line, romances were up in the air and aforementioned pretty boy just found his evil brother. I was mad at the cliffhanger. My sister and I spent the night complaining and ranting. The Nelson household was angst central because of us. I couldn’t even look at a cat without being reminded of how mad I was at all the cliffhangers.

But that was nothing compared to a few days ago when we found out the show was canceled. Sure, it didn’t make my list of favorites or must-sees but now I need to know what happened (this is why cliffhangers should not be allowed ever)! Initially, we were both pissed. It was like your friend ditching you after you spend weeks making epic plans, getting up early to prepare and then getting a simple text of “something came up, let’s reschedule!” The next stage was grief; we mourned the fact that Pretty Boy would once again be taken from our lives (he was previously on another doomed ABC Family show: 10 Things I Hate About You). I slowly got over my initial sorrow when I realized this semester is too busy for TV anyway. My despair was completely gone when I found a new love: New Girl.

If you weren’t one of the 10 million people watching this after Glee (another show I watch, but that has definitely gone downhill since the first season), you really should tune in this fall. Not only does it feature the beyond fabulous Zooey Deschanel, but I was laughing pretty much the whole episode. If you like hipsters, are a hipster, want to be a hipster or just like laughing at hipsters, this one’s for you. It’s super cute, relatable and hilarious beyond belief. Seriously, if you’re having a bad day, this will make you feel better.

If you’re into the vampire craze, season 3 is a good time to tune into The Vampire Diaries! Ian Somerhalder is smoking hot and spoilers assure us this season, a little something might happen with Elena, Nina Dobrev’s character, while her former-but-still-present-sort-of boyfriend is off killing people. Talk about angst, drama, tears, love, more angst and blood. What more could you need? Though these are pretty much the only shows I watch, if the Emmys taught me anything, it’s that Modern Family is comedic gold–honestly, they should change the name to the Modern Family awards since they dominate every year now. True Blood always seems to bring sexy, bloody angst to your screen, and Big Bang Theory will maybe help you learn a thing or two while you procrastinate studying for your science test. Just remember, shows can be canceled any day if the ratings fall. You could be left on edge, wondering if your favorite character just died, for the rest of your life. So, watch with caution, TV Show Lovers, cherish your characters and plot lines while you can, and try not to fall too hard too fast.

I'm a senior art history and magazine journalism major. I'm a junky for pop culture, watch way too much TV, and love to blog about it all.
Elora likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain...but only warm rain, and especially rain that's packaged in summer thunderstorms! The sophomore magazine journalism and English major is an assistant feature copy editor for SU's independent student newspaper, the Daily Orange, and is a contributing writer for GALA Magazine. She is also a brother in the community service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. Elora has country music on her iTunes for every possible mood and she will never turn down a Dave Matthews Band concert, a trip to Panera Bread or a pickup soccer game. Although she's not sure exactly what she wants to do after graduation, she hopes to use writing to make a difference in someone's world.