Make Valentine’s Day Count

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Valentine’s Day is quite possibly the single most hated holiday ever. Why? Well, for one there are the bitter cat ladies who think there’s no such thing as love. There are the people who claim themselves forever alone and use the holiday as an excuse to cry over ever other happy couple they see. Some get dumped right before the day of hearts and chocolates because their former significant other just wanted to be casual. Others simply don’t want to plan that romantic night out—it can be a lot of pressure. And then there’s just the broke people who don’t want to have to spend more money on some presumably significant gift to show their love.

Regardless of what category you fall under, Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be doom and gloom, tears over a vat of ice cream, or the savings of your bank account going down the drain. I’ve got some tips for you to make this Valentine’s Day a success, whether you celebrate it or not.

1.     Anti-Valentine’s Day Party

This is for all you skeptics and non-believers out there. If you: a) hate Valentine’s Day, b) don’t have a significant other, c) are void of any romantic particle in your body, or d) all of the above, this is the perfect opportunity for you! Join together with all your fellow loveless friends and celebrate the fact that you hate this day of red and pink hearts. Buy a heart shaped pinata and beat it to the ground. Stuff your face full of comfort food—aka eating your feelings, so be careful with this one if you’re wearing tight pants…in fact, just dress comfortably for this pity party. Share your heartbreak and let the tears flow with a rounding game of Keep a Stoic Face While Watching The Notebook. Whatever you do at your hate party, at least you’ll all be together.

2.     Ignorance is Bliss

If for whatever reason, an anti-Valentine’s Day party is not in the cards for you, but you loathe the day to your very core, it might be easiest to ignore the day. How can you do this with cupids and chocolates and couples making out on every square foot of your street, you ask? Well, you can give yourself a sick day if it’s really that horrific—note: I do not condone skipping, and this advice is for those who have a heart of stone. Or you can venture off into your day and ignore the love fest. Pretend it’s the 13th or 15th. Don’t make eye contact with that girl decked out in red with a headband of hearts on slinkies. Practice your scowl by glaring at all the lovey-dovey couples in your path. But, if you choose this method, do not: go to the movies, go out to dinner at a remotely fancy restaurant, go near a florist’s or try talking to one of your couple friends. It is date night for the in-love. It’ll be easier if you stay home.

3.     Plan a Night In

There’s a misconception that us ladies want to come home to find our apartments covered in rose petals and end the evening with our necks dripping in diamonds. Unless boyfriend is a millionaire—and even then—these expectations are either falsely placed (silly, delusional college girl) or just not true. Guys, your girlfriend just wants to see you put in a little effort, be romantic in some way. You don’t have to get down on one knee or buy some other diamond jewelery. A nice home cooked meal over candlelight instead of the basketball game will generally suffice. Going to see The Vow—hello Channing Tatum—will score you equal props. Low key is totally cool, especially since the holiday falls on a Tuesday. Sometimes simple is better, and a nice night snuggled inside your dorm could be just what cupid ordered.

4.     Plan and Budget Ahead

For those super romantic readers looking to indulge their lovers this V-Day, have no fear: you can pull it off without the stress. If you’re vying for a fancy dinner, don’t forget to make reservations at least a week in advance. Planning on seeing a movie? Buy your tickets ahead of time to rid yourself of the extra hassle and give yourself more time at the concession stand. Decide how much you are willing and/or can afford to spend, and stick to it. If you’re planning a big date, go for a smaller gift, and vice versa. It’s not the gift or activities that count, but the thought and consideration behind them—unless you got yourself a gold digger, in which case you should run. Remember, most of us don’t expect the date to end all dates just because it’s Valentine’s Day. Save that grand, romantic gesture for your future proposal.

5.     Remember It’s The Day of Love

Whether you have someone in your life or not, it’s ok to get caught up in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. You can wear pink and those wacky heart antenna headbands. You can send a secret valentine to someone (the mere thought of that is making the romantic in me melt). You can simply celebrate by calling up your mom or your friend at another school, get a little pick me up from their love. Whatever you do, ignore or celebrate, keep in mind there’s always next year. And there’s always time for that surprise Valentine to show up at your door.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I'm a senior art history and magazine journalism major. I'm a junky for pop culture, watch way too much TV, and love to blog about it all.
Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.