Hurricane Sandy strikes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

On October 22, 2012, the U.S. was hit with pounding rain and heavy winds, as Hurricane Sandy made her way through the region. Luckily, the Syracuse area did not get slammed as expected, and it definitely fared better than friends down south in New York and New Jersey.

Students received an emailed announcing that all classes Monday after 1:40 p.m. through Tuesday were cancelled. Just like the entire U.S., Syracuse prepared for the worst. Tops, the local supermarket, was full of students and residents buying supplies for the hurricane, going into survival mode.

Hurricane Sandy changed its course and reached farther south and west, sparing SU from the rain and high winds predicted by the National Weather Service, classes resumed on October 31.

Hurricane Sandy’s highest winds were 110 mph (175 km/h) and the damage cost the U.S.s at least $52.4 billion. The most affected areas where Greater Antilles, Bahamas, most of the eastern United States (especially the coastal Mid-Atlantic State and New England), Bermuda, and eastern Canada.

Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.