First Date Resume Jitters? Just Get Fancy!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

As we all know Internship Season is swiftly approaching. Whether it’s a paid or unpaid internship, you have to look your best on paper. Many times there will be no interview, it will be you submitting a resume and CV then waiting for decisions to be made. What I do is imagine my resume as the first impression an employer will get about me. We all know the first impression is a lasting impression. The cover letter, which we all hate, is that chance to explain yourself in further detail.

Say you are going out on your first date and you want to make the best impression. The resume is your outfit. You want the best color, the best dress to fit your figure, shoes to compliment your outfit, and the make-up has to be flawless. At the end of the night you want your date to make sure they get your number and have no choice but to schedule another date. Doesn’t that sound like the same thing an employer should get out of looking at your resume?

I love it and it works for me every time. I make sure the font is concise and consistent across the pages. I make sure I put all my accomplishments on paper and in full detail explain my roles and responsibilities. The employer should have no further questions. This is not a time to be shy; this is your chance to brag without looking too confident.

Did you travel abroad?  – That should be at the top of your resume?
Any community service endeavors? – Please don’t forget to add those

Now while a resume may be sufficed for some employers, many will ask for a cover letter. A cover letter can be annoying because you don’t know what to say in short little paragraphs and everything is already on your resume. My suggestion, think about the first date questions or when you are speed dating. You don’t want to bore your date, not talk enough, talk too much, or discuss irrelevant or random topics. Perfect because you don’t want to treat your employer that way either.  Only go in detail about important topics on your resume and relevant information to the job. Keep it short and sweet because employers don’t have much time when choosing applicants.

I hope this was fun for you as you went down memory lane but also learned some new tricks.

Remember don’t get so stressed trying to write that cover letter or edit your resume, just get FANCY!

Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.