Dalai Lama to give SU a Peace of his Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Other than basketball games, there are few events at the Carrier Dome that I have ever been reasonably excited about attending. This was true until a few weeks ago, when the university announced an all-star concert for peace, officiated by His Holiness, the Dalai Lama.

One World Community Foundation, a private non-profit organization founded by university trustee, Samuel Nappi, will sponsor the special benefit concert on October 9 and the panel discussion scheduled for October 8. While some proceeds from ticket sales will go towards a scholarship fund, the purpose of the event is for the community at large to acknowledge the mission of a “Common Ground for Peace.”

The musical line-up for the historic concert event includes Dave Matthews, Swizz Beatz, Natasha Bedingfield, David Crosby, Counting Crows, Nelly Furtado, Andy Grammer, Matisyahu, Nas and American Idol winner, Phillip Phillips, among many others. The legendary Phil Ramone will serve as music producer, and Academy Award winner Whoopi Goldberg will emcee.

The two topical panel discussions on October 8 will feature the Dalai Lama as well as other noteworthy diplomats and communicators. I first learned of this entire showcase when a friend excitedly texted me that Ann Curry would be moderating these two panels. As a huge fan of Ms. Curry’s, I was a little blind sighted. It took me some time to realize that she was not the university’s only major visitor for the October event.

5,000 student tickets were sold in less than 90 minutes after the online presale began at 2 o’clock on September 7. I was ready with my Ticketmaster account at 2 o’clock on the dot, refreshing the page wildly until tickets were officially available for purchase. I cannot tell you the last time I was this manic about getting a ticket to a concert. In fact, I was surprised to learn I already had a Ticketmaster account. I am not an avid concert go-er – I think the last big musical event I attended was a Madonna comeback-extravaganza at Madison Square Garden. If you scanned my iTunes library, you would not be too impressed, unless you are really into Chopin or country music (it’s an assorted mix, for sure). What enthused me most is the fact that a landmark event with such an eclectic musical line-up is being held on my campus. It’s brag-worthy, it’s honorable and I cannot wait to be there.

In the wake of devastating protests in the Middle East, I hope that the concert’s initiative is not lost on attendees. The star-studded event is another lesson in demonstrating Syracuse University’s scholarship in action principle. How can the community come together to effect understanding, to find a “Common Ground for Peace”? There may be no concrete formula to realizing peace in this day and age but come October 9, at least this idea will be at the forefront of peoples’ minds.

Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.