Budgeting abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

At home I have a routine of things that I enjoy doing. Going to the gym, getting a manicure, getting my eyebrows waxed, doing random shopping on Marshall Street, grabbing a coffee from Starbucks—the list goes on and on. Of course, all of these things cost money but I’m able to fit it in my monthly budget. So, when I went abroad I was assuming that I would be able to have the same luxuries as I do in the States. No problem, right? Wrong.

If you go abroad in Europe, I suggest you start saving money now. You’d be surprised how expensive things are and how weak the dollar really is compared to the euro. Let’s make a comparison of how much things cost in the States to how much they cost in London.

Gym: Free for SU Students     London: 45 pounds or more each month ($80)
Manicure: $10 with tip            London: 15 pounds without tip ($20)
Eyebrows: $10 with tip           London: 13 pounds without tip ($18)
Shopping: um….                     London: ummm times 1000 (way too much money)
Starbucks: $3 for a tall            London: 3 pounds for a tall ($5.50)

The first common mistake that I made was thinking that one pound or one euro would equal one dollar. Every time I see something for three pounds I think, this is so cheap! But actually, I am paying somewhere around five bucks. I may know the value of the dollar but I do not know the value of the pound. Just because you see single digits does not mean that you’re saving money.

I honestly can’t give great advice on budgeting since my parents just yesterday scolded me for spending too much money. Your best bet is to do things such as plan trips ahead of time (the earlier the cheaper), take advantage of student discounts and ask your student life office for help. Here in London, Faraday house is amazing! They provide tons of tips and activities for students to save money including free day trips on the weekends, advice on the cheapest grocery stores and heads-up on bargains as they come along.

My final and best advice? You’re only going to live in Europe once (probably)! Save your money now so you can enjoy yourself abroad and do everything you want to do!

Ola friends! I'm Stephie. I now have 2 lovely kids. I make sure we have New Hampshire health plans for our protection. Health should be prioritized.