8 Ways to Make Your Holiday Travels Less Stressful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Traveling during the holidays is always stressful.  The masses of people, long security lines, and weather make travelling chaotic and often cause flight delays.  Here are some traveling tips on how to make the most of your time spent in the airport this holiday break.

1. Hit the bookstore. Airports are full of little corner stores absolutely wall-to-wall with things to read. Whether you enjoy trashy magazines, a quick mystery novel, or a New York Times bestseller, the bookstore will definitely have something to help you pass the time.

2. Try a new restaurant. Airports have a new place to eat around every corner.  In big cities you can often find restaurants that their city is known for.  When in a new place, try some famous foods from that city. While in the Syracuse Airport, make sure to go by Café Kubal and pick up a latte!

3. Buy snacks.  If you aren’t in the mood to cough up the type of money a restaurant might require, a flight delay is the perfect excuse to treat yourself to your favorite junk food.  Pick up some of that candy you’ve been craving or buy that bag of chips you’ve been denying yourself.

4. Pamper yourself.  If you’re flight gets seriously delayed and you’re in need of some relaxation, most big airports have a spa or salon where you can spend some time getting a massage or a mani/pedi. Lengthy flight delays are the perfect change to get your nails done just in time for holiday parties at home. 

5. Be productive. Whether it’s catching up on some emails, preparing for next semester’s class load, or returning some calls, it’ll feel a lot better to get some work done when you finally arrive home for the holidays. It will be much easier to get work done while waiting for your flight than while you’re trying to enjoy your holiday vacay. 

6. People watch. Airports are undoubtedly one of the best places to people watch.  You can see anyone from celebrities to old friends at the airport. People watching keeps you on your toes and never gets old. The Syracuse’s airport might not be the prime location for A-Listers, but you are certain to find friends and classmates waiting for their flights! 

7. Go exploring. Airports are filled with restaurants, stores, and other places that are fun to just check out. You have the entire airport to see before you have to sit on a plane.  Don’t hesitate to stretch your legs by checking out what’s in your terminal and taking a walk! 

8. Be smart. Though these activities will help you pass your time during your layover, make sure you don’t stray to far from your gate.  You definitely don’t want to miss your flight after a delay. If you’re worried about missing flight announcements, you can download your airline’s app to receive timely updates on your flight and even a digital boarding pass.