Culture > News

Weather Watch: February 19 Snow Squalls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

February 19 began as a sunny day, complete with blue skies and average temperatures for mid-February. Forecasters had predicted local heavy snow and strong winds throughout Central Pennsylvania just days beforehand, but it seemed as if their reports wouldn’t turn out to be true. Many people on-campus didn’t realize a storm was headed our way until we received an alert.

The storm, dubbed an Alberta Clipper after the Canadian province, was set to pass through the Midwest and into Central Pennsylvania before noon on Feb. 19. Although snow accumulation would be minimal, the storm had the potential to cause snow squalls: fast moving systems of heavy snow, wind, and whiteout conditions. Typically, snow squalls only last for a few moments, but it can be life threatening to be caught within one on the road.

A snow squall warning from the National Weather Service was sent out to all university students at 11:03am, warning students of the imminent storm. Students were urged to slow down or delay travel while under the threat of near zero visibility, icy roads, and strong winds. The line of snow squalls were expected to hit Selinsgrove around 11:30am. However, the storm didn’t begin until, roughly, an hour later.

Here in Selinsgrove, the snow squall only lasted about fifteen minutes, but the town was struck by whiteout conditions and strong winds. The skies cleared by around 12:45pm, though strong wind gusts persisted until the next morning. Overall, Feb. 19 was considered an “Impact Day,” a term meteorologists use to describe days when severe weather has the potential to inhibit a population from carrying out its daily schedules. Last Saturday lived up to its title as going out in the wind and bitter cold was unpleasant. At times, it was downright dangerous.

By President’s Day, temperatures had climbed up into the fifties, creating a pattern of unseasonable weather that will continue until later on in the week. The week that follows is predicted to be dry but cold. As unpleasant as it may be, it beats braving blizzard conditions in 50 mph wind gusts.

"No woman was ever ruined by a book." – Jimmy Walker