This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

“So if they wanna call you crazy, fine. Show them what crazy can do.”

This is the powerful closing statement of Nike’s new 90-second “Dream Crazier” ad. Narrated by the legendary Serena Williams, the commercial challenges the gender bias women face everyday, specifically in the history of sports.

After the controversy surrounding Serena Williams during the U.S. Open, it is only appropriate that she be the spokesperson for the undeniable double standards in sports. During Williams’ final match with opponent and eventual winner Naomi Osaka, referee Carlos Ramos issued Williams two penalties-one for coaching and one for smashing her racket. Williams then went on to argue that men have done much worse without penalty in the history of tennis, and that she would have been penalized differently had she been a male.

Nike’s ad challenges these kinds of double-standards in the world of sports. Airing during the Oscar’s this past Sunday, the commercial features historic female athletes and touches on the tribulations they have faced.

“And if we dream for equal opportunity-delusional,” Williams narrates while showing U.S. Women’s Soccer star Abby Wambach, an advocate to close the gender wage gap not only in the world of sports, but across the globe.

“When we’re too good, there’s something wrong with us” is said over a video of Caster Semenya, a female South African track-runner who has been questioned for having a “testosterone advantage” due to her naturally high testosterone levels.

The ad then goes on to cite history of women who have defied odds in the world of sports, like Kathrine Switzer, the first woman to ever complete the Boston Marathon, and the NBA’s first female head-coach, Becky Hammon.

Williams even references herself in the commercial by saying “Winnning 23 grand slams, having a baby, and coming back for more? Crazy, crazy, crazy, and crazy.”

This ad acknowledges an ongoing issue in our society without holding anything back. Similar to Colin Kaepernick’s ad, Nike has managed to raise awareness about a controversial topic using their exponentially large platform. This commercial allows women across the world to feel empowered, uplifted, and inspired. Thank you, Nike.

19 year-old music student living life and having fun!!!
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University