Sustainability is Key in the Month of April

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

With Earth Day coming up on the 22nd, the month of April is all about how you can help to save the Earth. There are a few steps that you can take as a college student to practice sustainability. It is all about wanting to set an example for other people though, so make sure that you are committed to saving the earth.

On my college campus, Sigma Kappa sorority is doing a 30-day challenge where they are showing everyone that they are getting Starbucks in reusable cups. While I am not a member of the sorority, I support what they are trying to do and I vow to continuously use my Starbucks cup in order to #killthecup and save the earth. 

Another thing that you can do it make a pile of paper in your room that you don’t need anymore and when you have a large enough pile, take it to a recycling bin. There are a number of companies in the world that use the paper and bottles that you recycle to create things like pens. This is something small that people don’t really think about but it makes a big difference in saving the earth that we live on today. 

Another thing that you can start doing is using a refillable water bottle. This is something that most college students do because it is easier than trying to buy a case of water for your dorm room. Some people even have more than one water bottle that they choose to use. If you are the type of person that does not drink enough water this will really help you to start drinking more liquid. I refill my water bottle 2-3 times a day because I tell myself that I need to drink water. If you are like me and you need help, my best suggestion is to set the cup in front of you when you are in class because otherwise, you have the situation of out of sight out of mind. 

All you have to do is work together to recycle and not waste as much. When you use a plastic cup the only waste you are creating is soapy water when you clean it. Sounds weird, but I would rather take three minutes to clean a cup than 30 seconds to throw one out if it means I’m doing something to help. I am asking you to take the challenge and become eco-friendly.

Accounting Major with a Minor in Personal and Organizational Communications
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University