This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Last Friday night here at Susquehanna, there was a really fun paint night that I attended. There were 60 participates in total and so much fun! In TRAX, our big dance club style building on campus, a man and woman came from a local art studio that holds stepbystep paint classes. This activity was free, but sign ups were on a first come first serve basis. Everyone at the event was given a large canvas, an easel to paint on, two brushes to use, water, the four paint colors we were going to be using, and a plastic smock to wear. There was an image already preselected and on display that we were going to paint. The woman who led the activity walked us through each step, painting along with us and telling us exactly what to paint.  

It was honestly so much fun because the two people leading the activity were very relaxed and said if we wanted to change a certain part or paint a section differently, we were welcome to go ahead and do so. They were very encouraging and it honestly made the night very relaxing and fun to just be with friends and paint. 

I was actually really worried about the paint night because I had signed up right away but my friend hadn’t been able to get a spot, so when I showed up I was alone and didn’t think I was going to have any fun because I’d be surrounded by strangers. But when I got there, there was a lot of people I did know, and a few of my co-workers were there and wanted me to sit with them. It was really nice to feel like I had people who wanted me to hang out with them and we all had so much fun. 

The picture was supposed to paint was the silhouette of an elephant, but instead I painted a dinosaur, my one co-worker painted a tortious and a cactus, and another painted a meerkat. It was so fun to just be creative! Mine actually came out pretty good and usually when I paint I rush and it just comes out a mess, but I learned that if I just take my time the work will come out so much better! 

The night was honestly just so fun and I love how my piece came out. I totally recommend, if you school has something like this, that you sign up! Or, if they don’t, then try to see if a local art studio would come and lead a tutorial for students! It is honestly great publicity for them and they probably wouldn’t mind. 

I do have a few recommendations though if you do have something like this at your school!   

• Sign up early! 

If you know that events like these fill up fast sign up! And if you and your friends are unsure sign up anyway, at least this way if you change your mind you can tell the people who organize it that you can’t go and there are always people who waitlist for these events so the spots will fill back up. And if you don’t know if these events fill up fast, when you sign up ask the person there if they normally do just so you can know for the future. 

• Bring friends! 

Depending on the night your school does it, it may be during the week or on the weekend, go with your friends! If it’s during the week it’ll be a great two hour destress activity from school work, and if it is on the weekend you’ll still have time to paint and go out after! Have a competition with your friends to see who can get the most creative with what they paint, and just have fun! 

• Don’t be afraid to try something new! 

Even if you are the worst artist in the world at least you can say you tried! Go have fun and just enjoy! 

Hi! My name is Victoria, I use she/her pronouns, I'm 18 years old and I am a first year student at Susquehanna University!
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.