AD9DDB9E 4EDA 4BDE 8FD2 36A4632E618Ejpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AD9DDB9E 4EDA 4BDE 8FD2 36A4632E618Ejpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Bopp

Reasons Why You Should Sign Up for Primary Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

The end of the semester is looming, meaning that once we return to campus, it will be everyone’s favorite time of year: recruitment season.  Maybe I am a bit biased, but I truly am excited about sorority recruitment. Last year, I joined Susquehanna’s chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha during a completely online primary recruitment, and it was probably one of the best decisions I have made in college so far. I have met some of my best friends and have seen myself grow already. However, I am the first person to admit that I never saw myself joining a sorority. If you told my high school self that I would be in a sorority, she would probably laugh in your face. I always felt intimidated by the idea of sororities mainly because they always seemed so self-assured, and I really didn’t. So, if you find yourself afraid of recruitment, here are some reasons that I hope will change your mind.

You can meet so many new people

Personally, COVID made it extremely difficult for me to make friends during my first year of college, and I assume many other first-year students feel the same way. Recruitment is the perfect way to get out and meet new people. Even if you decide not to join an organization, you’ll still meet loads of people, whether it be in your recruitment group or in any of the sororities on campus.

you aren’t stuck

What really scared me about recruitment was the idea of not finding a place in any of the sororities or not liking Greek Life at all. However, what squashed these fears was the fact that you don’t actually have to join anything. By signing up for recruitment, you’re entering the process of meeting the sororities and trying to get a bid. Whether you accept a bid or not is completely up to you. Although I always want to see girls find a home for themselves, I understand that Greek Life isn’t for everyone. So, if you aren’t sure if sorority life is for you, sign up anyway, you might be surprised.

you can perfect your interviewing skills

The majority of recruitment is just talking to people. You talk to other girls going through recruitment, but you also get to talk to members of each sorority. These conversations, at least for me, sometimes felt like an interview. Although they are much more laid back and less nerve-racking than actual interviews, they serve the same purpose. The sorority is trying to convince you to join them, and you are trying to convince them you are worthy of a bid. Therefore, partaking in recruitment can really help improve your interview skills. You’ll be able to learn how to think quickly on your feet and answer meaningful questions, while also getting to know a number of great individuals.

you get to see what greek life is really about

The best reason to sign up for recruitment is the fact that you get to learn about each sorority. By going through this process, you get an insider look into how these organizations operate. Specifically, you get to learn about their philanthropies and other fun activities they participate in. But most of all, you get to see their sisterhood. Prior to recruitment, the idea of a large group of girls scared me. What if they didn’t like me? Would they be mean? Or how do they all like each other? After the first night, I learned that the real answer to these questions is sisterhood. The members of these organizations love and care for each other, and I saw that easily during recruitment.

I know that putting yourself out there is scary, but by signing up for recruitment, you’re signing up to potentially meet your new home away from home. I’ll be honest and admit that I didn’t think I would get much out of sorority life, but I was so wrong. Zeta Tau Alpha has given me a group of strong women, who I know will always have my back no matter what. So, I encourage you to sign up for recruitment and find your own sisterhood.  

Hi! I'm Emily Costantino and I am a Journalism and Digital Content major at Susquehanna University. I work as both an on-campus member and a national writer for Her Campus.