This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Over the long winter break, I discovered something to help soothe my boredom. On my days off I would go out and look for art supplies such as canvases, paints, and brushes. Art is definitely not my forte but it is very relaxing and a simple activity that helped keep me occupied.

After going to Walmart and spending more than I should have on a pack of canvases and new paints, I was ready to go. With no set idea in mind on what I was going to paint, I figured, let’s get to it! That right there though is exactly why I love painting so much. You need not start with an idea and you can make anything your own personal work of art.

For me, painting helps me get away for a while. People with anxious minds and the inability to stay occupied on their own (like myself) should consider picking up a brush. As I said before, there is no need to be spot on and perfect in your work. Art has the beautiful undertones of expressing yourself in any way you see fit.

I would put myself in the beginner stages of being “good” at painting. To be completely honest I don’t know which colors should go and not go together or how to properly mix colors to create a new one. So to anyone who is wondering whether or not this is a good hobby to pick up, I would say absolutely. I have already been down the frustrating path of trying to copy something off the internet that I thought would be simple, and ended up painting over it with black paint to hide my failed attempts of becoming the next Picasso.

If this is your worry, don’t let it consume you. Painting, coloring, or any other form of artistic expression is supposed to be relaxing and completely your own. However you imagined it to look, for my beginners, I can guarantee it’s not going to look that way, but that’s okay! Do your best, give it a shot, and maybe you’ll enjoy it just as much as I do now!

Junior at Susquehanna University Journalism/Photography President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Susqu Class of 2022
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University