This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

The recent news that Netflix is releasing a handful of Studio Ghibli films in pretty much every region but America (unfortunately) has gotten me thinking about how inspirational Ghibli films have been for me. I always thought of Studio Ghibli’s movies as something that only people that are interested in Japanese culture would watch, but I was talking with a friend who doesn’t really watch anime but loves Ghibli recently when I realized that wasn’t true. For those of you who don’t know, Studio Ghibli is simply a Japanese movie animation studio that has created several internationally acclaimed animated films such as Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro. Here are my favorite movies from this iconic animation studio:

Spirited Away (2001)

This wildly popular film is about a girl named Chihiro who accidentally stumbles into a fantasy world after exploring an abandoned amusement park.

Princess Mononoke (1999)

This is a historical fantasy film that is about the struggle between forest spirits and the humans who are taking up all of their resources.

Whisper of the Heart (1995)

This coming-of-age film is probably the coziest, most nostalgic Ghibli movie for me!

The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013)

This movie, based on an ancient Japanese literary tale, sticks out in my mind for its gorgeous animation style and highly emotional story.

Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)

I adore this film from the bottom of my heart; it’s one of my favorite of all time! With fantasy, slice of life, and coming-of-age themes, it meets all of my standards. Also, Kiki is such an iconic character.

I’m sure Ghibli’s audience will grow even more now that their movies are more accessible in some places around the world. Here’s hoping Netflix realizes how many fans of Studio Ghibli live in the US, and pushes to get these amazing movies up in the states.

I'm a sophomore Publishing & Editing and Graphic Design double major as well as an editor at and the treasurer of Her Campus Susquehanna. I love to draw, read, and play video games in my free time.
Senior Publishing and Editing and Philosophy double major.