This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

In today’s society, sex is much more acceptable to talk freely about which means we’re finally able to talk about everything. We have been more open with talking about female orgasms, but there are a lot of people, including women, who still believe in the misconceptions. I’m here to tell you why some of the things you believe about female orgasms are misconceptions and what the actual truth is. 

All women can orgasm in the same way.

Vaginas are complex. Every vagina is different. Some things that work for one woman, might not work for the next. This means that just because one woman climaxed from vaginal penetration and you had to do no other work to get her to orgasm, does not mean that it will work for all other women. Some women never experience orgasms during sex. Some women can only obtain an orgasm through oral sex, certain positions, sex toys, etc. The list goes on and on. Understanding what your partner needs in order to climax is essential if you really care about them climaxing. 

All women orgasm every time they have sex. 

False. Like stated above, every woman is different. Even the women who usually orgasm every time they have sex can have days when they are not really in the mood, stressed out, tired, or their partner is simply not putting in the right work. 

Every orgasm will be a mind-blowing, indescribable, earth-moving feeling. 

Orgasms are intense, but not every orgasm will be insanely intense. Most of the time, it’s just a simple, “It felt really good” kind of thing. There are so many different types of orgasms and every type can feel different, so if you’re not completely satisfied with the orgasms that you’ve been having, switch it up and try different ones or stick with the same one and try different positions! 

Having someone help you reach climax can be a great thing and you should really appreciate every orgasm, but never settle for anything less than you deserve! After all, only 11% of women can experience climax from vaginal penetration; if you’re one of those 11%, you have been blessed! Don’t ever feel bad for not climaxing during sex or solo play. Don’t be afraid to experiment and let your partner know that it isn’t working for you, but that something else might. 

Most importantly, have fun and be safe! 

Student at Susquehanna University // Born and Raised on the Lower East Side of New York City