I Am Really Really Excited For ‘The Never Tilting World’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

If you’ve read any articles I’ve written for Her Campus ever, you probably know that I love YA books. I thought that by now that I’d have grown up and moved on to like, Charles Dickens, or whatever New Adults™ read (I don’t think they actually read Dickens, do they?), but that never happened. I still read the same stuff I did when I was 12. But because of that, I’ve been able to follow some of the same authors over time, and have the interesting experience of watching them grow!

Rin Chupeco is one of those authors. The first book of hers I ever read was The Girl from the Well, the first book in a YA horror duology based off of the Japanese ghost story Bancho Sarayashiki (the same one from The Ring). I read that series when I was a strapping fifteen-year-old, and I basically thought it was the best thing ever. When her next book, The Bone Witch, was announced, I got super excited, added it to my to-be-read list, and when it released, I totally forgot about it until last summer. That was dumb of me because it’s a really good series. The Bone Witch is the start of an awesome trilogy about badass necromancer girls and huge monsters. It’s so different from her debut novel, both in terms of writing and of subject matter— which is one of the reasons why I’m so excited about her upcoming YA fantasy, The Never Tilting World.

Apparently, it’s set in a fantasy world called Aeon, which has been ruled by generations of twin goddesses. Prior to the story, a betrayal between the goddesses caused the world to be split in two, with one half in perpetual night and the other in perpetual day. In the middle, there’s an abyss where, according to the author, “Horrible Things Climb Out Of.” Can’t wait to see what that means. The main protagonists are the daughters of those two goddesses, and the book will follow their journey as they attempt to fix their world, which is apparently also dying of climate change.

So like, it’s your basic YA “teenagers save the world” plot. But if Rin’s previous books are anything to go by, it’ll be a super-interesting-and-unique-teenagers-save-the-world plot. Apparently, there’s lesbians in the book too, which is also very important.

Another detail worth mentioning is that the book is being marketed as a cross between Frozen…

and Mad Max?

Wild. Anyways, add The Never Tilting World by Rin Chupeco to your TBR lists, and get excited for October 15th!

I'm a sophomore Publishing & Editing and Graphic Design double major as well as an editor at and the treasurer of Her Campus Susquehanna. I love to draw, read, and play video games in my free time.
The journey to where I want to be includes writing a lot of words and eating a lot of fries.