The Lalagirl Writing In Notebook
The Lalagirl Writing In Notebook
Her Campus Media

How to Utilize Your Time at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Many people currently have time on their hands that they are not sure what to do with, feeling as though they are trapped in their homes. However, with thought, preparation, and productivity, such time can be turned into a blessing as the things you’ve always dreamed of accomplishing become realities.  

Determine What Is Important To You

I once read that the best way to utilize your time is by breaking your life into categories based off of what is most important to you. Ask yourself what you spend most of your time usually doing. What parts of your life do you wish to focus on and advance in with your new availability? It is recommended that you choose five to seven categories to complete this practice. My personal categories include family, friends, career, exercise, spirituality, homework, and creativity.  

Once you determine which categories are most important to you, think of the ways you would advance in them at least once a week. Would you watch a movie with your family or help your mother cook dinner? Maybe you choose to call one of your friends and chat. To exercise, you could practice yoga, stretches, and cardio through online tutorials that you can follow along with. You can also write down the lists of assignments or applications you hope to complete or submit. Think of the artistic projects you have always wanted to dive into or the skills you’ve wanted to pick up. Once your list is complete, you can look through it each day to determine which categories you will focus on at that time, or sprinkle of a little of each category into your daily routine.

Approach Each Day As If It Will Be A Productive One

I highly recommend planning a schedule for your day the night before. This way, you can wake up with a plan and act. Rather than lying in bed while time ticks by, you can get up knowing what you need to do and what you hope to accomplish. With this mindset, you’ll be much more driven to cross things off your task list. It is also beneficial to act as if you want to be productive. Choosing a nice outfit, sometimes the night before, or at least dressing presentable in something you feel good in will boost your energy. Carry water with you and complete your work in spaces where you won’t be distracted. Aim to eat healthy foods. Put your phone away from time to time and step outside when you can to cleanse the soul. Most importantly, keep a positive mindset. Remind yourself of what you want and what is important to you. Carry your task list with you and approach it with determination and a smile. After each day, try to get to sleep at a reasonable hour to do it again the next day. Once this becomes routine, you’ll no longer just wish to be productive. You will be productive.

Accomplish What You’ve Always Hoped To

There are always those moments when you wish you had time to complete a project or a goal, but you just never find the chance. This is the perfect chance. Think back, maybe even years ago, to those moments when you wanted to complete a project. Maybe you even just wanted to watch a Netflix show or play a game again on your old gaming system. Perhaps you’ve been wishing to redecorate your room or tidy up a certain space.  

There are so many different things you can do. My personal checklist includes finally getting to read the books on my shelves, cleaning out my phone and computer, practicing yoga and spirituality, painting, watching home videos with my family, creating new outfit combinations, creating a family tree, entering scholarship competitions, and more. 

It’s easy to fall into a lazy routine while at home, in an environment where you may not usually need to be productive. It may feel as though responsibilities don’t really exist. However, by reflecting on what is important to you and taking the necessary steps, you can make the most out of your time at home. Afterwards, you will feel good, and your mind and body will be grateful. Just remember that it is also okay to have those days where you decide to take a step back and just do a little bit of nothing too!

Allyson is a graduate from Susquehanna University with a Bachelor of Science in Luxury Brand Marketing and Management. Outside of the classroom, she could be found writing articles for Her Campus, teaching ballet, and singing showtunes.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University