emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

How To Get the Perfect Gift for a Loved One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

My friends in the past have joked that they only invite me to their birthday parties for one reason: gifts. I have been known to give some very thoughtful gifts accompanied by sincere, loving cards. So, I thought I’d share my wisdom and make a list of necessary things to get and keep in mind when getting someone you care about a gift, as well as how to write a meaningful, impactful card. 

The Actual Gift Part

I have to admit, I do buy multiple gifts. Now, before you say, “I’m broke!” well so am I so listen up! I  usually get three to four gifts from this list, a majority of which are manageable. You don’t really have to get the last one; I just do because I like seeing my friends happy more than anything, even if it means throwing away some money. Anyway, here’s the list:

1. Gift card. This is the most practical one of the bunch. Some may prefer just to give the person money; that way, they can spend it the way they want to spend it. However, I think gift cards are sometimes better than money because they’re more specialized, so they show you pay attention to where they like to shop/eat etc.

2. Food or candy. It’s more of an instant gratification gift that they’ll appreciate in that moment.

3. A personal gift. This could be anything from a painting you made of their favorite kind of dog or a coffee mug you painted for their daily morning brew. They will appreciate the time that went into making it and be reminded of your love every time they see it.

4. Gag gift. This is an inside joke you guys share. Maybe it’s a framed photo of your friend looking silly or a stuffed animal of their favorite TV show character as a kid. Either way, it’ll make them crack a smile.

5. Something they’ve wanted for a long time or something related to that thing. If your friend always talks about wanting something or casually mentions it, listen. Oftentimes, this may be out of your price range. However, if too expensive, consider getting them something less costly that has to do with that thing. For example, if your friend wanted a brand new guitar, maybe get them a pick.

6. An experience. For this one the price can drastically range, but in all honesty, it is usually more than worth it. Concert tickets. A ski trip. A night out to dinner. It’s a gift that isn’t tangible but creates something even more lovely than a physical feeling: an emotional feeling linked to a memory neither person will forget.

The Card

Sometimes, it’s hard to articulate what we feel about a person, especially when we care about them a lot. That’s why I always try to follow a certain format and use helpful tips to try to put to language such dense and raw emotions.

Starting out with the format, I always try to include an anecdote or two that exemplifies a trait I am trying to commend them on. This demonstrates your care as you are showing you remember the good times with them and have appreciated their presence. Throughout, I also insert some jokes. In short, I try to make the person laugh, think, and cry (happy tears of course!) when reading my writing about them.

As for general tips…

1. Include jokes or memes you think they’ll like.

2. Include compliments and be specific with them. Compliment them on things that matter to them and that they care about.

3. Include a poem or something more eloquent if you are creative.

4. Put in inside jokes.

5. Mention small things you like about them that show you pay attention, like mannerisms and such.

I hope this helps with getting gifts and making cards!

Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University