This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

If you are anything like me, you’re not great at keeping up with the latest fashions. My younger sister has been bombarded with the constant “Does this look okay?” every time I have to leave the house in anything more than a t-shirt and jeans. Most of my “fashion” experience comes from working at a retail store over the summer. I make most of my things work with either my black converse or my Birkenstocks, which might be the only shoe I own that is actually popular at the moment. So, I thought I would show you guys how I make the most out of the current fashion world with just the things I have in my closet.  

1: Warm colors 

This might seem like an obvious suggestion, but pull out your warm colors. The reds, oranges, and yellows. Basically, if it shows up on a tree leaf in the fall, it’s a good color to wear. And luckily, when your school colors are orange and maroon, it’s easy to pull out school spirit wear in a pinch.  

2: Sweaters 

It is impossible to go wrong with a good sweater. These can usually be found in abundance at your local thrift store for really, really cheap prices. Plus, a good oversized sweater comes with the added bonus of sweater paws, when the sleeves are long enough to cover your hands. It’s basically a big blanket. They’re easy to match just about anything with too, anything from leggings to jeans, converse or flats, even with a beanie or a big necklace.  

3: Flannels 

I usually find a way to wear my flannels all year round, but fall is peak flannel season. You can wear them in so many different ways: buttoned all the way, over a graphic tee, wrapped around your waist. And like sweaters, you can pair them with almost anything. My go-to accessories are usually converse and a beanie, but I’ve seen them with leggings, flats, almost anything you could think of.  

5: Stripes 

Stripes are making a little bit of a comeback. Most of mine are black and white, because they pair with pretty much any lip color I feel like putting on. However, they can be hard to match in any color. Jeans and a solid shoe are usually a good way to go. 

6: Turtlenecks 

I have been wearing turtle necks for forever, and now they’re finally making a comeback. I’ve seen models with high collars for the past three months, and my favorite shirt is a tank top with a turtleneck. Just watch the material. They can get itchy. 

My final piece of advice?  

Thrift, thrift, thrift. Thrift stores carry just about anything and everything, and if you’re looking for something you almost will find it at a thrift store. I don’t know if this will be much help for everyone, but this is how I function in the world of fall fashion without actually keeping up to date with the actual fashion world, so hopefully you can get some tips or tricks from here too.  

I'm publishing & editing and psychology double major, as well as a passionate feminist and social-justice advocate.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.