This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Disclaimer: This article was actually written a while ago, but this band is still active! Check the links at the end of the article if you are interested in learning more about Coastal Club.

Coastal Club is an Indie Rock band with a hint of surf music based out of Cincinnati, Ohio. The band consists of four members: Alex Hirlinger on Guitar and Vocals, Alex Mobley on Guitar, Avery Benter on Bass and Vocals, and David McGuire on Drums. Coastal Club has released one EP (Coastal Club) along with a single and recently dropped a live version of their EP. Though they only have a few songs out, they have played multiple small venues in Cincinnati and Dayton Ohio along with doing a live radio broadcast.

When listening to their music, you can tell how much time and dedication they put into each piece of work. They truly do love being around music all the time. It may come as a shocker listening to Coastal Club’s music, but they are not signed with any label, meaning they are self-produced. They did say that if they could choose any label to be with, they would choose Capitol Records since “some of our favorite artists have released music through Capitol Records.” I asked when their fans would see a full-length CD from the band. They informed me that they are focusing on single and double releases right now and that with the way people listen to music nowadays, “it is easier to digest a few songs here and there instead of an entire album.” But they did release a new album in 2020!

What inspired you guys to start a band?

Like many musicians, the thing that inspired us to start a band was also the same thing that originally inspired us to pick up our instruments – we were intentional and passionate music listeners. We listened to some of our favorite artists and we were moved so deeply that it inspired us to pick up instruments and devote hundreds of hours into developing our crafts. We did this with the hopes of one day making music that inspired others in the same way that some of our favorite artists inspired us.

How did you come up with the name “Coastal Club” even though the band did not originate at the coast?

During the time of Coastal Club’s formation, we were very inspired by the surf music from the 60s, and we hoped to blend this sound with modern pop and indie sounds. As we reflect on our lives in search of some of our fondest memories, many of these memories are linked to the coast. We intentionally create our music in an attempt to spread that sense of joy, nostalgia, and wonder that is associated with trips to the coast.

Is your genre of music inspired by the band name since it had a “hint of surf music”?

Absolutely! While we do not believe that we are strictly a “surf-rock” band, we do believe that our music has elements of indie surf-rock blended with modern pop. Our name is very closely related to the music that we create as well as anything that we produce as a band.

How long have you all been friends?

We all were mutual friends throughout college although it wasn’t until the last three years or so that we really grew close and started creating music together. Mobes and Alex originally created a band called “Local Waves” with a different drummer. When Local Waves first started, our bass was tracked from the computer – we named our very proficient computer bass player Steve. Steve had a very rough night, and after Avery noticed that Steve was not doing well, he approached Mobes and myself and offered to play bass. We took up Avery on his offer, and shortly after, our old drummer moved away for a new job, so we decided to add David as the final piece in the band. Through all of this change, we truly enjoy being around one another and love challenging each other’s music abilities.

As a group, do you ever have conflicts with each other?

Surprisingly, we never tend to get in any heated arguments. The most we tend to fight about is the food options after the venue, which usually lands on tacos.

How much fun was it to film your first music video?

It was an absolute blast! It was a pleasure working with both Seth Halter and Ben Nelson, as they are both really incredible guys. We started off the day with some tacos and margaritas, so you’re bound to have a good time after that. They really made it an easy and fun experience for all of us. It was also fun incorporating another local band Mooonbeau and spending the day with them. And who doesn’t like a disco ball?

What is it like being a small hometown band?

There is a little bit of Cincinnati pride in all of us, and we love the local music scene here in our city. There are so many great bands and people that come out to the shows around here that just make it feel like home. It is fun hearing from other people around different areas that have discovered us though as well! We just feel very honored to be able to play music we love and that people enjoy listening.

Do you have one-on-one interactions with your fans? If so, do you like the close interaction with your fans?

It is always our favorite thing in the world: meeting new people at shows! We especially love meeting people in different cities and connecting with people in areas away from home. I think that one of the best one-on-one interactions with fans that we’ve had was when we got post-show burgers and milkshakes in Chicago after a SoFar show with some now, very dear friends/fans.

Who writes the songs in the band? does each member write their own part in the songs, or is it a group collaboration?

We all tend to bring our own parts to the song while we are writing. Often times, we will begin jamming out an idea or melody, and we each add our own parts until it starts to feel great. We will spend time playing through our ideas until it really starts to click together. Alex tends to write all of the lyrical goodness and stories that we learn to love. We are a very collaborative band and strive to work together to create the best we can.

Has there been an argument(s) about how to write some things dealing with songs or beats?

We might have some very small disagreement’s about parts every once and a while, but for the most part, we are all very supportive and trusting of each other’s parts. If there are any disagreements, we tend to resolve them very quickly and trust that everyone in the band honestly has the best intentions for the sound.

As the interview drew to a close, I asked what kind of advice they would give someone trying to start out a band or a solo career. They suggested just jumping right in, the best way to start is “simply to start doing it.” They stated, “We all have to learn and grow which takes time and energy and this only develops with experiences.” They also added that “even now looking back to past songs we are able to identify where we have grown and improved. Life is a long story that we get to write for ourselves.” Coastal Club wants all of its fans and listeners to know that they are looking at real singing a series or doubles in late spring or early summer and to be on the lookout for it since they would “love for you to listen along to new music in the future.”

To get updates and notifications for new music and events, check out their Instagram and Twitter at @wearecoastalclub along with Spotify for music. If you love their music and want to buy a copy of the CD or any other merchandise, go to their website

Amanda Kresge is a Creative Writing and Publishing and Editing double major with a minor in Film Studies. Their preferred genre is fiction, specifically the short story form, where they focus on writing crime stories. In their free time, Amanda likes to watch a lot of crime shows, specifically Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. One might also find them listening to Motionless in White and/or Ice Nine Kills as they work on their next creative piece.