Style > Fashion

Check Out Downtown: Mystic Gem Boutique

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

As I graduate, one of the things I regret is not exploring more of what is downtown. The town is about a fifteen to twenty-minute walk from campus, but there are many places that I have not explored. Maybe this is just me wanting to see more of what I can from Selinsgrove, PA, before I graduate. I am going to miss the little things that make the town unique, but to start, have you heard of the Mystic Gem Boutique?

Who are you? What do you do?

Hello, my name is Kayla Black, and I’m the owner and operator of The Mystic Gem Boutique in Selinsgrove, PA. I do everything from sourcing the merchandise, organizing, pricing, and arranging the items, social media, making some of the items, along with working the storefront. 

What was the vision behind creating the Mystic Gem Boutique?

The vision I had for The Mystic Gem Boutique is to provide people with the option to buy sustainably sourced clothes, accessories, crystals, and art, along with supporting other local and nonlocal small businesses. Everything we sell here has been made by another small business or is gently used to reduce the waste in the landfill and is sourced from other local small businesses and people I know. And the crystals were either sustainably mined by my crystal vendor (a good friend of mine) or other friends of hers.

What inspired the name of your boutique?

The name of my boutique was inspired by the saying “hidden gem,” “a gem of an item,” “this ___ is a real gem!” (Meaning a good find), which I’ve heard several different times [from] people describing what they’ve found in my shop, as I have a variety of uncommon items. And the word “mystic” came from the idea of having crystals, tarot & oracle cards, and other unique finds.

What is your favorite product from your boutique?

My personal favorite item(s) that I sell are the “new” fair trade clothes because they are very different than what you’re able to find at the mall and other common, well-known stores. Chances are you’ll never find anyone wearing the same outfit as you due to the one-of-a-kind look. I also feel like it’s a real “statement” outfit wearing something handmade and unique, and I always receive lots of compliments anytime I’m wearing anything from my shop.

How have you incorporated sustainability in the Mystic Gem Boutique?

I’ve incorporated sustainably into my boutique by making sure that everything that comes through the door is sustainably made by other small businesses, made in small batches where the workers are paid a fair living wage. And I always try to keep single-use plastic use to a minimum by having biodegradable shopping bags and reusing items as often as I can.

What is your favorite part about owning your boutique?

My favorite part about owning a small business is being around things I love and being able to create my own schedule that works best for me. I’ve always been into fashion, jewelry, accessories, and thrift shopping. One of my favorite memories as a kid is going to my grandparent’s house, where I’d sketch out clothing designs, pick out the materials, and help my grandma on the sewing machine to create the clothes I drew. I also loved going along with them to yard sales and flea markets. And I like that I’m able to make my own hours and work at my own pace. I have several chronic health issues that prevent me from working a “typical” 9-5 job, so I’m glad I found a way that I’m able to make money doing what I love on my own schedule.

Now, I am lucky to have been able to explore the Mystic Gem Boutique a while ago. I got a few earrings from the shop for myself and my friends, and I know we all enjoyed them! I have been fortunate enough to talk to the shop owner a few times, and Kayla is amazing. So, if you have the chance, please visit the Mystic Gem Boutique in person or check out the online store! This is one of the most fun shops I have been in, and I think you would enjoy it too.

Jena Lui

Susqu '23

To go on an adventure means to set off into a new environment and to take it all in, keeping what is important to you.