Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Celebrate Love During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Although Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and despite the fact that we are in the middle of the pandemic, there are still fun ways to celebrate the holiday of love this year. Whether one celebrates alone, with a significant other, or even close friends, Valentine’s Day can be a day to cherish all of the love we have in our lives. Here are five things you can do on February 14th to celebrate love.

Watch a Rom-Com

Watching a romantic comedy (or multiple if you’re anything like me) is the perfect way to spend Valentine’s Day. Romantic comedies are feel-good movies that ultimately make people feel happier and more spirited, which is something anyone could use given the current circumstances. Movies can be watched alone or with family and friends. Specific films to be on the lookout for include To All the Boys: Always and ForeverThe Map of Tiny Perfect Things, and Playing CupidTo All the Boys: Always and Forever, the third and final installment in the To All the Boys series, follows Lara Jean as she navigates love and the changes that come with graduating high school. To All the Boys: Always and Forever came out on February 12th on Netflix. The previous two To All the Boys films are currently available to stream on Netflix. Another movie to watch is The Map of Tiny Perfect Things. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things is based on the short story by Lev Grossman and follows lead teen characters, Mark and Margaret, as they are stuck in a time loop and find out they are the only ones who realize it. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things came out on February 12th through Prime Video. Lastly, be on the lookout for Playing Cupid, a new Hallmark Valentine’s Day film that premiers on February 13th at 9:00 pm on the Hallmark Channel. The movie follows a young girl who secretly sets up her father with her teacher and then starts a matchmaking business for a school project afterward. No matter the time of year or season, it is rare for a Hallmark Channel movie to disappoint. They always seem to make one feel happier and cheerful with their picturesque sceneries and dreamy endings. No matter if you choose to watch one of these films, or another rom-com favorite, grab your favorite snack and commemorate the holiday of love with a good movie.  

Make a Valentine’s Day Treat

Who doesn’t enjoy a good dessert? February 14th is a great day to get creative in the kitchen and make a decadent treat. One of the most fun parts is decorating. Be sure to add pink, red, white, or purple icing and sprinkles to your desserts to feel the spirit of the holiday. There are so many great Valentine’s Day recipes online, whether they are for cookies, cupcakes, fudge, or raspberry tarts. If baking isn’t your forte, you can always buy pre-made cookies such as the heart-shaped cutout Pillsbury sugar cookies and decorate them yourself to add your own flair. Similarly, with the other activities on this list, you can do this with family, friends, or by yourself. There’s nothing a little bit of sugar can’t make better! 

Take a Walk Outside

The winter season and the state of the pandemic have caused many people to stay inside, much more than they ever have before. Many students are also learning remotely from home, meaning it’s become rarer for them to go outside and get fresh air. This Valentine’s Day, take a walk to clear your head and feel alive again. Whether it’s around your yard, a park, or just around a block, it can be beneficial to get some much-needed sunlight during this dark season. It can also be good to appreciate nature and the little things in life. If you don’t want a silent walk, feel free to listen to some music. Love songs perfectly fit the holiday, and Spotify has some good Valentine’s Day playlists. You can also walk with a friend and chat, or even take your dog along for a stroll. The point is to get moving during a time when so many of us are stuck in one place.  

Write Down Your Feelings

As mentioned, the current state of the world has taken a toll on many. Many people may feel alone and isolated. They may feel grief from losing someone, or perhaps just not like themselves. It can be hard to celebrate any holiday if one feels alone or has recently lost someone they typically spend the day with. One of the best ways to gain a sense of our feelings is to write them down. It can be good to release whatever emotion you’re feeling and just get it out by writing in a journal or maybe even by writing a poem. Writing makes you reflect, whether it be on yourself, your life, or the nature of things at the moment. This Valentine’s Day, make a point to write down your feelings-whatever they may be-as you can then gain greater self-awareness and understanding of why you feel that way and what is causing it. At the very least, you’ll be better able to recognize the meaning behind your emotions. 

Have a Self-Care Day

The perfect way to celebrate this February 14th is by taking care of yourself. After all, you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else. Some ways to practice self-care include doing a face mask, painting your nails, doing an at-home workout, buying a new outfit, etc. It’s also vital to make sleep a priority and to make sure you’re drinking enough water each day. Other ways to incorporate self-care on Valentine’s Day are by reading a new book (or your favorite book again) and by doing activities you enjoy such as painting, dancing, running, along with so many others. So, blast your favorite song and do something that makes you happy on Valentine’s Day.  

But most importantly, don’t forget to practice gratitude. Good things are happening to us and all around us if we choose to see them from that perspective. So, on February 14th, choose love and celebrate the love that is not only around you but within you. Happy Valentine’s Day! 

Gabrielle Chaudry is the president and editor-in-chief at the Her Campus at Susqu chapter. She oversees the editing of articles. Beyond Her Campus, Gabrielle has written for The Quill, Susquehanna University's student newspaper and she has been editor-in-chief of her high school's newspaper. Gabrielle is also a section editor of Susquehanna's yearbook, The Lanthorn. She is currently a senior at Susquehanna University, majoring in journalism with a political science minor and honors minor. In her free time, Gabrielle enjoys writing, reading, and listening to pop music. She's a Hallmark movie lover and finds joy decorating for the holidays and seasons.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University